Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Flavor Profiles  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Steve

• 1st Kit
Beer Flavor Profiles
« on: January 21, 2019, 06:19:23 am »
Hello All,
I have been home brewing for about 2 years, I have read many books on brewing, and I have learned a lot and have produced some really good beers.  In my reading I have often encountered descriptions of certain beer styles that will say the beer starts with say a maltiness, finishes with say a fruitiness, and features hop bitterness in the aftertaste.  My question is, is there any thing the brewer can do in either the recipe or the brewing process that determines what flavors dominate at which stage ( front end, finish , aftertaste, etc.)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Beer Flavor Profiles
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 07:11:26 am »
I believe yeast has the biggest impact on accentuating hop and malt flavors, as well as providing flavors of their own and when it is perceived.

For instance when you read a yeast description it may say something like 1) “Promotes less sulphur production than other lager strains, as well as a fuller, more rounded malt character with well-promoted hop flavors.” 2) “Provides a fantastic complex marriage of spice, fruity esters, phenolics...”.  3) “This yeast produces an exceptionally clean flavor, ideal for when you want the hop character to really punch through.”

IMO these flavors are enhanced by attenuation as a result of wort fermentability (influenced by mash process) and even the amounts of water minerals added in the mash, sparge, and brew kettle which can influence harshness, crispness or fullness.

I do not believe you can influence the order you perceive these flavors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

Re: Beer Flavor Profiles
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 07:28:54 am »

Agree. Various elements of the flavor and aroma profile are just naturally predisposed to present in a certain order, I think.  Aroma is naturally the first thing you notice as you approach the beer,  and hop aroma may fade quickly from the moment you pour the beer, as it is carried to your nose most effectively by the first rush of escaping CO2.   Simple sweetness and bitterness are most able to linger on the palate long after the last sip, probably because they are carried by substances that adhere, and also are not volatile like aroma carriers.   And so on.  What you can influence is the degree to which each element is present on the whole.   Amount of hops and when added, grain bill and mash program to influence the malt profile, water chemistry, and fermentation above all as BrewBama says.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 10:16:52 pm »
I agree, too. Concentrate on fermentation & temperature control.  A well fermented beer, brewed at controlled temps, will allow the ingredients (including proper yeast character) to shine through.  From there, it's a matter of tweaking to achieve the proper balance of flavors.
HTH-
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Fiddledeedee

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 03:18:06 am »
I believe yeast has the biggest impact on accentuating hop and malt flavors, as well as providing flavors of their own and when it is perceived.

For instance when you read a yeast description it may say something like 1) “Promotes less sulphur production than other lager strains, as well as a fuller, more rounded malt character with well-promoted hop flavors.” 2) “Provides a fantastic complex marriage of spice, fruity esters, phenolics...”.  3) “This yeast produces an exceptionally clean flavor, ideal for when you want the hop character to really punch through.”

IMO these flavors are enhanced by attenuation as a result of wort fermentability (influenced by mash process) and even the amounts of water minerals added in the mash, sparge, and brew kettle which can influence harshness, crispness or fullness.

+1. Can't comprehend a better input than this.
You can find me blogging @ Toodrie | CleverMicro

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 12:21:48 pm »
Agreed.  A wonderful resource is the glossary section of the BJCP Style Guidelines (currently 2015 revised edition).  It contains a lot of concise ways of expressing beer characteristics and perceptions that give precision to the written word...cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"