Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Propper Starter, anyone used this cheater yeast starter?  (Read 4696 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Propper Starter, anyone used this cheater yeast starter?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 09:58:11 am »
That is a conundrum now seeing how I don't have one. You're right tho, pH would be to high. Probably would need to have pH no higher than 4 to keep it safe. The hunt begins for a pressure canner! LOL, another piece of brewery equipment. I might need a larger basement.

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 10:00:24 am »
Making a starter as I type, actually waiting for it to come to a boil. I really dislike making starters! I'm going to make a 5 gallon batch of wort @ 1.040, put it in 1/2 gallon mason jars and water bath for 15 mins. Straight into the keezer and ready when I need it! Warm it to pitching temp and add yeast.

To be safe from botulism you really need to pressure can that wort.

It should be safe from botulism in the keezer. The way I understand it the spores won't grow and produce the botulinum toxin below 40°f. But it will get funky after a while if it's not pressure canned.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 10:38:12 am »
That is a conundrum now seeing how I don't have one. You're right tho, pH would be to high. Probably would need to have pH no higher than 4 to keep it safe. The hunt begins for a pressure canner! LOL, another piece of brewery equipment. I might need a larger basement.
4.6 I'd the often quoted safe pH for Botulism.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 10:53:17 am »
I too struggle with the cost, but have purchased and used.  Didn’t seem to run into any problems with the sanitary issues some suggest.  I also have a pressure cooker that I do can Wort from time to time.  A few things prevent me from always making starter Wort and canning:
1. It uses up time that could be spent on other brewing activities.  One pressure cooker full of jars doesn’t seem like enough so I want to do multiple batches in th pressure cooker.
2. When I make starter Wort from DME I end up with a fair amount of hot break in the mason jar and that I feel I should filter.
3.  Feels like forever to get the DME to dissolve in the mason jar before it goes in the canner.
4.  Lastly, the pressure cooker makes my wife nervous!   :o

I don’t have a strong opinion on making vs. buying starter Wort and could probably be convinced of the merits of both within the same conversation.

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 11:03:50 am »
When I run low on starter wort I brew a beer with a simple pale grain bill like a kolsch and just make a couple extra gallons. Then I just pressure can it while brewing the main batch.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 11:18:22 am »

2. When I make starter Wort from DME I end up with a fair amount of hot break in the mason jar and that I feel I should filter.

Don't separate that trub, it's yeast food!  Full of aminos, fatty acids, minerals...  the reason some favor sending some trub to the fermenter,  while others feel crystal clear wort is better for beer stability.   But in a starter, you just want to make the yeast happy and strong. 

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 11:22:23 am »
This smart pressure canner is on my wish list. It does 4 quarts or 5 pints. You can basically just turn it on and walk away and it will take care of the entire pressure canning process automatically. It'd be great for canning leftover soup, etc. too. At least that's how I plan on selling my wife on the idea.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VTL8STO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&linkCode=sl1&tag=nimifa-20&linkId=b7323d6568fe6117948f686b6112def9

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Propper Starter, anyone used this cheater yeast starter?
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 01:09:12 pm »
This smart pressure canner is on my wish list. It does 4 quarts or 5 pints. You can basically just turn it on and walk away and it will take care of the entire pressure canning process automatically. It'd be great for canning leftover soup, etc. too. At least that's how I plan on selling my wife on the idea.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VTL8STO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&linkCode=sl1&tag=nimifa-20&linkId=b7323d6568fe6117948f686b6112def9

Buy her an Instant Pot Max. Everyone is jumping on the Instant Pot bandwagon and the ‘Max’ version can pressure can.

https://www.thekitchn.com/instant-pot-max-pressure-canning-feature-256472

Disclaimer: However, the USDA and the National Center for Home Food Preservation warn against the use of electric pressure cookers for canning even when the appliance has a canning function. That’s because the temperature in the water and the jars — during the heating-up and cooling-down periods — is really important when it comes to safety.

We’re told that the Instant Pot is waiting for approval from the USDA. If it gets the good word, then this will be the first electric pressure cooker that’s approved for canning. That’s a huge deal!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:12:15 pm by BrewBama »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 01:41:57 pm »
I actually enjoy canning starter wort.  Its cheap and easy.  One batch of 7 quarts last me a long time.  Say no to botulism! Make sure you know how much time and pressure is needed.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 02:24:46 pm »

Buy her an Instant Pot Max. Everyone is jumping on the Instant Pot bandwagon and the ‘Max’ version can pressure can.

https://www.thekitchn.com/instant-pot-max-pressure-canning-feature-256472

Disclaimer: However, the USDA and the National Center for Home Food Preservation warn against the use of electric pressure cookers for canning even when the appliance has a canning function. That’s because the temperature in the water and the jars — during the heating-up and cooling-down periods — is really important when it comes to safety.

We’re told that the Instant Pot is waiting for approval from the USDA. If it gets the good word, then this will be the first electric pressure cooker that’s approved for canning. That’s a huge deal!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The one I linked to is approved for pressure canning. It's the only one as far as I know.