Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pale Ale refinement  (Read 1989 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Pale Ale refinement
« on: October 27, 2018, 06:02:06 am »
What hops does Sierra Nevada use in their Pale Ale?

So I have a Pale Ale recipe based on SN that I enjoy so naturally I need to futz with it in the quest for nirvana. In my research I have looked to the classics for inspiration. Based on this screenshot I see SN PA uses all Cascade which is what I have been brewing and I like it (though I must admit I do not use as many IBU(s) as they do in my concoction).

However, when I reach back to Jan 2018 I see I took this screenshot which includes Magnum and Perle in the hop bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Pale Ale refinement
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 06:12:55 am »
The information that I've gleaned says that SNPA originally used Perle for bittering and of course Cascade for everything else. I wouldn't be surprised if they have substituted another hop like Magnum for bittering, but I would be surprised if they used only Cascade for aspects of that beer.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 07:27:54 am »
I've increased the SNPA-ness in my APA by going with chinook early, cascade and centennial late

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 07:45:51 am »
In the past at different times they reportedly used Perle, Magnum, or a blend of both for bittering, but as the more recent screenshot there indicates,  they've gone all Cascade now.  But Jim's got a point.  Their process may get more/different flavor or bitterness out of the same hops than your process.  Rather than just trying to duplicate the recipe,  you'll probably do better just going by the taste of your final product.  I too find that his blend in my brewery gives a result more similar to SNPA.  For some reason.  The same principle probably applies to the grain bill.   You may need a different amount of crystal, a different color crystal, even some other specialty malts included to get the result you want.   
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 02:02:38 pm »
I guess they change the recipe from time to time.  Back when Beerfan started the SNPA cloning made simple thread (many years ago on the NB forum), it was Magnum for bittering, Perle in the middle, and Cascade for finishing.

Also, I swear to God at some point their website listed Carapils as an ingredient in Celebration.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline iwouldtapthat

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 11:29:37 am »
I am not sure about this but I was under the impression that the original recipe was all cascade then down the line they started adding pearle and magnumfor bittering. I assumed it was probably to save on cost, as magnum and pearle are much higher than in alpha acid % than cascade and a relitively clean bittering hop. Personally, I think you could use magnum as bittering and cascade for mid and late additions for a clone.