Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Microscopes? What is really required?  (Read 274 times)

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
Microscopes? What is really required?
« on: June 27, 2024, 07:59:30 am »
I'm almost scared to ask, but I'm looking on Ebay at microscopes and wondering what folks here think. Obviously, this would be for learning whatever is "learn-able" about yeast.  No doubt, someone who works at a research facility will say I need an electron microscope capable of seeing atomic particles.  And then someone else will say they've made beer since the 1500s without em, I don't need one.  And I may well end up just seeing bubbles and calling it a day. Who knows.

So, landing somewhere in between...  I read where if you want to count cells, you need a moving platform.  There's going to be some other gizmos to buy with grid lines on em for helping to count.  I don't need photo capability since I have a Canon DSLR with 100mm 1:1 f2.8 Macro that takes really nice pics handheld through other optics. Also, from what I can tell, 400x is all that's needed for yeast work.  I have no desire to buy some name-brand unit that's 10x the money, so that's out.

Is there anything TO learn?  Here's a scope that's basically $100, and I would expect the other items needed will be another $100.  Still on the fence about even trying this, but I wouldn't mind getting a yeast kit to save slants and yada yada yada...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175160812697

« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 08:26:11 am by CounterPressure »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Microscopes? What is really required?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2024, 08:07:58 am »
Been there, done that. You can count cells with a magnifying glass. A microscope just makes you feel more sciency.  I also found there is no reason to count cells other than to say you've done it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2024, 08:28:04 am »
Been there, done that. You can count cells with a magnifying glass. A microscope just makes you feel more sciency.  I also found there is no reason to count cells other than to say you've done it.
Lol, Ok.  I was already sorta on the fence about the value anyway.  I see that I put the link in my first post and a person needed a microscope to see it! :D
I made it more visible now. 

I could see me buying the MS and just having it for a toy, never using it on yeast anyway....

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2024, 09:19:45 am »
I think having a microscope could be of value if you also want it anyway as a hobby on it's own. I had one when I was a kid and it was fun.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2024, 09:28:40 am »
I think having a microscope could be of value if you also want it anyway as a hobby on it's own. I had one when I was a kid and it was fun.
That's kind of my thoughts also. I have one here at work that I purchased easily 20 years ago or more. It's basicaly a Fisher Price microscope, made by Intel and it was called an Intel Play microscope. It's a USB-A that displayed on the screen. I literally bought it from Toys R us. But I'm going to say this was for Windows for work groups 311. When I say it's old, I mean old. The software hasn't worked on any version of Windows in years. Maybe Windows 95 or 98.

That thing on eBay has a similar Gizmo that you can hand hold which is what I use this for at work to inspect parts. It was an order of magnitude less money than similar instruments intended for inspection. It's basically a paperweight now.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2024, 11:07:20 am »
Down in my basement someplace I still have my two microscopes I had since I was like 8 years old.  I'm sure they would still work fine.  But I also literally haven't bothered with them at all since like the early 1990s.  I see no reason to count yeast cells.  Cell counts are overrated.  What matters most is ensuring your yeast is healthy and live and kicking, pitching in an amount that seems "about right".
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2024, 12:16:11 pm »
I disagree with respect Denny.  With a decent scope (not sure if the one the OP linked to will do it or not) at 400X, a hemocytometer (disposable ones are great and not expensive- get a Neubauer type), a vital stain (look it up), and practice, you can get a good idea of cell viability in addition to cell count which is really what you want to know.  I say go for it- learning is fun!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2024, 03:06:38 pm »
I disagree with respect Denny.  With a decent scope (not sure if the one the OP linked to will do it or not) at 400X, a hemocytometer (disposable ones are great and not expensive- get a Neubauer type), a vital stain (look it up), and practice, you can get a good idea of cell viability in addition to cell count which is really what you want to know.  I say go for it- learning is fun!

Yes, I did all that. I just didn't find it useful to making better beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2024, 04:31:35 pm »
I've got to be honest, it does feel a lot like a solution in search of a problem. I would feel a lot better about the purchase if I could legitimately say I thought there was even a chance it would fix something.But of course that doesn't mean I won't buy one. Just that if I do, I fully anticipate looking at dead bugs for a day and putting it on the shelf.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2024, 07:26:20 pm »
I've got to be honest, it does feel a lot like a solution in search of a problem. I would feel a lot better about the purchase if I could legitimately say I thought there was even a chance it would fix something.But of course that doesn't mean I won't buy one. Just that if I do, I fully anticipate looking at dead bugs for a day and putting it on the shelf.

I thought about getting a microscope for a while, but even the folks over at Milk the Funk kinda talked me out of it.  It's not like you're going to positively ID different species (let alone strains) by eyeball.  Yeah, you can do a cell count, but the recent literature (as Denny has noted) seems to discount the utility of that at the homebrew scale.  I guess you could confirm a suspected bacterial infection if you needed to, but you can usually do that by taste.

I may still get one, but it'll be as a fun toy and as something to help with the kids' science curricula.  It is, after all, inordinately fun just looking at regular pond water or yard dirt under magnification.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2024, 08:33:44 pm »
I thought about getting a microscope for a while, but even the folks over at Milk the Funk kinda talked me out of it.  It's not like you're going to positively ID different species (let alone strains) by eyeball.  Yeah, you can do a cell count, but the recent literature (as Denny has noted) seems to discount the utility of that at the homebrew scale. I guess you could confirm a suspected bacterial infection if you needed to, but you can usually do that by taste.

I may still get one, but it'll be as a fun toy and as something to help with the kids' science curricula.  It is, after all, inordinately fun just looking at regular pond water or yard dirt under magnification.
From what I've read, that's not possible either. At least not with any instrument I can afford. And I seem to recall someone saying that by the time you can see bacteria, it's too late. :D

I agree, it would probably be a lot of fun. And that one I linked has the handheld usb camera which I could say is a tool for at work! :D  That's where the last one got used! Although if I buy this one, it stands a good chance of falling victim to employee theft. Lol.