Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 233593 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #1020 on: June 25, 2024, 09:29:14 am »
That's beutiful and so much better to grow the stuff that's happy there and supports all the pollinators and is self sustaining instead of sucking up resources, including your time and money.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #1021 on: July 03, 2024, 07:53:33 pm »
The June heat wave we had up my way has done wonders for my chili peppers. My luck is frequently hit or miss each summer because chilis love heat, and I can't always give it to them. They have leafed up really well, even the superhots and the plants that didn't handle transplanting too well. Hopefully we get another run or two of hot weather once they start setting fruit, and I might be making hot sauce by labor day.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #1022 on: July 04, 2024, 08:41:31 am »
The June heat wave we had up my way has done wonders for my chili peppers. My luck is frequently hit or miss each summer because chilis love heat, and I can't always give it to them. They have leafed up really well, even the superhots and the plants that didn't handle transplanting too well. Hopefully we get another run or two of hot weather once they start setting fruit, and I might be making hot sauce by labor day.
I am surprised at how well chilis do up here. We find planting them in containers works best. As I recall we mostly harvest them in late September (but using green ones all summer) and make plenty of fermented hot sauce to last the year and give away. Mostly jalapenos, habeneros, and thai peppers for sauce. We grow the hot cherry peppers mostly to stuff with cheese and roast. yum.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #1023 on: July 04, 2024, 02:36:22 pm »
I am surprised at how well chilis do up here. We find planting them in containers works best. As I recall we mostly harvest them in late September (but using green ones all summer) and make plenty of fermented hot sauce to last the year and give away. Mostly jalapenos, habeneros, and thai peppers for sauce. We grow the hot cherry peppers mostly to stuff with cheese and roast. yum.
Jalapeños always do great for me. It's the superhots (1+ million scoville) like ghost peppers and reapers that need 90 degrees plus days to really thrive. A cold, wet summer almost always leads to disappointing yields for me.

Also, shout out to chiliplants.com while I'm at it. I grow mostly varieties that are hard to find in a nursery, so I have to start them from seed. I never got around to starting seeds this spring, but I came across this website and decided to order a bunch of plants from them. Not only did they have a huge selection, but the plants arrived in good shape, and they're all thriving after being transplanted into containers. They're pricier than starting from seed, but I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again if I needed to.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #1024 on: July 04, 2024, 03:02:45 pm »
. . . Also, shout out to chiliplants.com while I'm at it. . . .

That is a really fun website. 🌶️🫑🌶️🫑🌶️
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.