Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Noise coming from my kegerator  (Read 427 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Noise coming from my kegerator
« on: January 28, 2024, 08:28:33 am »
OK, so I am sitting here having a cup of coffee and chilling and notice a weird chirping or whining noise.  I have heard it before but never gave it a second thought.  So, I go looking for it.  It only happens for a half a second and not with any consistency, so I am chasing something that isn't going to be easy to find, so I think.  I realize that it is coming from my kegerator.  I look and it happens right as I open the door.  It is the gas line into the keg or the keg itself.  I think, crap, I have a leak.  I have had the keg for a few years now and have not changed any of the Orings, so I am thinking that must be it.  I get a bottle of Starsan and spray the posts, the lid and the prv.  No bubbles.  Weird.  The tank has been hooked up for at least two weeks and the gauge still shows above half full, where it was when I hooked it up minus maybe a little.  So, is it just the beer absorbing some of the CO2?  Anybody have any input on this one?  If it was a leak, even a small one, I would see a drop in the amount in the tank so I am kinda at a loss here.  Any input is appreciated.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Noise coming from my kegerator
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 08:57:49 am »
Chirping or whining don't ring a bell for me.

As for the high-pressure gauge, it will read the same (any variation will be due to temperature) until all of the liquid CO2 has been exhausted and you're, literally, running on fumes.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 11:13:33 am »
Chirping or whining sounds like a bad fan to me, but it could be something else. If one of the CO2 connections is a problem you should be able to home in on it by systematically disconnecting pieces of your tubing and checking for the sound.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 01:07:20 pm »
I get that sometimes from my 44 year old beer fridge. Usually it's caused by an ice dam that the fan is hitting.  Unplugging it overnight melts the ice and it's fine again.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell