Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Nightmare  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Thomas Andrews

• 1st Kit
Yeast Nightmare
« on: June 08, 2016, 01:15:17 am »
Greetings!

First time poster, long time reader here.

I've been brewing for nearly five years now and I've encountered my first major issue with yeast.

To cut a long story short, I'm making 30 bottles of chardonnay wine and I think I've got my primary fermentation mixture far too hot and I think it may have killed the yeast as after two and a half days nothing is happening.

Can I add more wine yeast to the mixture to get it going again or will this significantly affect the taste?

Any advice would be great!

We're experiencing some unseasonably hot weather here in the UK and that with my heat belt was a recipe for disaster...

Cheers!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Yeast Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 06:17:17 am »
Greetings!

First time poster, long time reader here.

I've been brewing for nearly five years now and I've encountered my first major issue with yeast.

To cut a long story short, I'm making 30 bottles of chardonnay wine and I think I've got my primary fermentation mixture far too hot and I think it may have killed the yeast as after two and a half days nothing is happening.

Can I add more wine yeast to the mixture to get it going again or will this significantly affect the taste?

Any advice would be great!

We're experiencing some unseasonably hot weather here in the UK and that with my heat belt was a recipe for disaster...

Cheers!

has to get pretty hot to kill yeast, but if that happened then you can try adding new yeast. if the alcohol isn't too high and the pH isn't too low they should be okay.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 07:08:22 am »
How warm is your fermentation running? do you at least have a sticky thermometer on your fermenter for some temp monitoring?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 07:55:34 am »
How hot are we talking?

Yeast stop reproducing around 105F but don't die until much warmer temperatures. I'd be surprised if you can get your fermentation vessel that hot with a brew belt unless you're fermenting in a metal box that sits in the sun all day.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing