Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Specialty Grains Life Shelf? 3+ years  (Read 1822 times)

Offline lululuvsagoose

• 1st Kit
Specialty Grains Life Shelf? 3+ years
« on: December 30, 2015, 07:41:38 pm »
I have crystal 60, 80, 120; special B and black patent ... all of which are 3+ years old.

I am making a RIS.

None of these would be showcased but comprise 2-3% of the grain bill.

Do you think these would be ok to use?

For those of you who would suggest a taste-test ... do you know any key/dominant flavors I might expect had they gone bad?

Thanks so much!

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Specialty Grains Life Shelf? 3+ years
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 07:57:48 pm »
I have some 2 year old chocolate malt which I have used on my last 3 batches. It tastes great. I know that's not 3 years, but, it's a data point. Take it for what it's worth.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 07:59:09 pm »
I sometimes use specialty grains that are "old".   I usually chew a few kernals of grain to make sure they are not mealy.  Crystal malt should have a hard texture, if it breaks easy in your teeth and has a kind of dry oat meal texture, I would not use it.  Otherwise, if the texture is good (and the flavor is good) I say use it.

I have had some malt that got humid... and I tossed it due to it having the funny texture.   

Good luck!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline lululuvsagoose

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 08:29:01 pm »
Ok, so I have tasted all of them and none are offensive. In fact like all of them. They do seem soft. I have some fresh crystal 60 ... and though it's been milled and the old stuff is whole-grain ... the milled-new-stuff does seem 'harder/crisper' and more fresh.

Bottom line, I'm brewing tomorrow and I don't have access to anything else other than these older grains. I think I'm going to add them. My guess is that they will only be muted but will at least add something ... I don't think they will lend offensive flavors.

Thanks ... and I'd still be interested to hear others' thoughts.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 05:55:52 am »
+1 to above.  If they are still firm and have been kept in a dry airtight environment, then you may be okay. 

Although, if it were me and I was brewing a big RIS that will be consumed over a year+, I would get some fresh grains for this. Since you are already putting in a lot of money, work, and time why not make sure the batch can come out the very best you can make it?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 03:56:25 pm »
I've used specialty grains of ~ 2 years old, not more. I always give the chew/taste test when they get that old, to be sure the texture and taste is ok.
Jon H.