Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blonde Or Pale?  (Read 3041 times)

Offline joshthebrewer

• Cellarman
Blonde Or Pale?
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:09:35 am »
I'm trying to come up with a recipe for either a low ibu pale or blonde.This is the first time I'm trying to make my own.  I can't lager or cold crash since I don't have the fridge space yet. I'm currently an extract brewer and I'm looking for a very nice and light drinkable summer beer that even my macro beer drinking friends will like.
right now I have:
6 lbs pale LME
1.5 lb 2row
2lb 8oz Crystal malt 10l
1.0 oz Kent Golding Hops
 Estimated 4.9% abv, 23.1 Ibu

Any suggestions will be a great help.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Blonde Or Pale?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 11:40:42 am »
I would suggest dropping the 2 row. It won't add anything unless you do a mini-mash. Then you will get a little fermentables. Also, that is a lot of crystal malt. I would cut it in half, or less. It will end up to too sweet with that much crystal malt. The hops sound good. If you want some hop flavor or aroma you could use some hops late in the boil.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 11:48:53 am »
I would drop the crystal malt to below 1# and as stated above add some hops (maybe 1 oz) at flame out for some added aroma. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 11:50:15 am »
I would drop the crystal malt to below 1# and as stated above add some hops (maybe 1 oz) at flame out for some added aroma. 

+1
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 12:08:01 pm »
yea something like .8# crystal, no 2 row, the ounce of KG for 60 minutes and maybe another ounce split between 10 minutes and flameout.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline joshthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 01:53:54 pm »

II thought about that but I'm worried about increasing the ibu's too much. (This looks to be only my 5th batch I'm still learning the sublties)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 02:21:09 pm »

II thought about that but I'm worried about increasing the ibu's too much. (This looks to be only my 5th batch I'm still learning the sublties)

hops added to the end of the boil give you very little, if any, bitterness.  They're for aroma and to a lesser extent, flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 02:25:35 pm »

I just noticed the "low ibu". I'm assuming the ibu's you put in the original post are the result of the 1 ounce of KG hops for 60 minutes. If you add more at flameout (when you turn off the heat at the end of the boil) you will get no additional bitterness (measured in ibu's) and lots more hop flavor and aroma. If you add some for the last 10 minutes you would get just a bit more bitterness and a lot of hop flavor. Basically, the longer you boil hops the more bitterness/ibu's you get (this is called "utilization") but the more you go towards being finished the less ibu's and the more aroma and flavor, particularly aroma. Dry hopping during the end of fermentation, just before bottling/kegging will give a ton of aroma but no bittering.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 02:26:50 pm »
Damn, while typing Denny said the same thing just as effectively with a tenth of the words.
Someone's been influenced by editors.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 02:30:23 pm by pete b »

Offline joshthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 02:36:59 pm »
Damn, while typing Denny said the same thing just as effectively with a tenth of the words.

HAHA I guess that happens but your explanation was good for me also since I like that bit extra, I'm a pretty mental person.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 02:56:15 pm »

HAHA I guess that happens but your explanation was good for me also since I like that bit extra, I'm a pretty mental person.
Well I'm glad "a pretty mental person" finds my answers helpful!  :) Someone has to...

Offline joshthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 03:04:51 pm »
Thanks for all the input everyone I'm adjusting the recipe I'm putting together only downside is the estimated abv drops to 3.4 but meh.

Any suggestions about the yeast? I'm thinking just a standard American Ale yeast, but am wondering if there would be a better choice for flavor.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 03:25:55 pm »
Thanks for all the input everyone I'm adjusting the recipe I'm putting together only downside is the estimated abv drops to 3.4 but meh.

Any suggestions about the yeast? I'm thinking just a standard American Ale yeast, but am wondering if there would be a better choice for flavor.
Do you have more extract? You can add more extract or make a smaller batch.

Offline joshthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 03:46:33 pm »

Do you have more extract? You can add more extract or make a smaller batch.

Yeah I figured I would just add a pound or two of extract

Offline joshthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 07:22:38 pm »
Long time coming but I did get this one brewed and had it ready for 4th of July and it was loved. Not many beer drinkers at my bbq and we drained a case even though there was a few other options.
Though it did ferment a lot more than planned coming out at 6.8% but that could be because of the LME and the 2 viles of yeast. I used Fermatrix gothemburge yeast since the owner hooked me up with a couple tubes that were close to expiring gave it a little bit of bannana esthers