Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: incorporating fresh raspberries  (Read 4899 times)

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
incorporating fresh raspberries
« on: July 18, 2014, 06:52:42 am »
I have a raspberry wheat extract recipe that I would like to incorporate fresh berries into.  Anyone have experience incorporating fresh raspberries into their beer?  I would also be curious to get opinions on what differences in taste I might see adding them at different stages.

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
Re: incorporating fresh raspberries
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 07:17:16 am »
I made a Saison that i added fresh raspberries to. I tossed them in whole to the secondary after a 5 week primary using WLP670. I used a ratio of 1/2 lbs per gallon and ended up with a nice pink color from the berries with a light/moderate aroma and flavor. The beer ended up winning 1st place in the fruit beer category in this years Boston Homebrew Competition.

What style beer are you planning on making?

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 07:24:17 am »
I made a Saison that i added fresh raspberries to. I tossed them in whole to the secondary after a 5 week primary using WLP670. I used a ratio of 1/2 lbs per gallon and ended up with a nice pink color from the berries with a light/moderate aroma and flavor. The beer ended up winning 1st place in the fruit beer category in this years Boston Homebrew Competition.

I have a kit for a raspberry wheat so I would like to use that but incorporate some fresh fruit.  It's the start of raspberry season here in Vermont so I think some fresh local fruit would be great.
On a side note, do you happen to have that Saison recipe?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 07:29:20 am »
After 2-3 weeks you'll get everything out of the raspberries you can get. After that the flavor will start to fade slightly.

One thing to keep in mind with raspberries is that they will completely break down in beer and leave you with small bits of skin and seed that will clog your racking and bottling equipment and get into your bottles if you aren't careful. It's a real PITA to work with. You will need to secure something over the end of your racking cane/autosiphon to keep all that stuff in the fermentor.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 07:31:25 am »
After 2-3 weeks you'll get everything out of the raspberries you can get. After that the flavor will start to fade slightly.

One thing to keep in mind with raspberries is that they will completely break down in beer and leave you with small bits of skin and seed that will clog your racking and bottling equipment and get into your bottles if you aren't careful. It's a real PITA to work with. You will need to secure something over the end of your racking cane/autosiphon to keep all that stuff in the fermentor.

+10.  Oregon raspberry puree is every bit as good, minus the grief and expletives.    ;)
Jon H.

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 07:49:37 am »

Are you talking 2-3 weeks in the primary?

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 08:21:17 am »

I have a kit for a raspberry wheat so I would like to use that but incorporate some fresh fruit.  It's the start of raspberry season here in Vermont so I think some fresh local fruit would be great.
On a side note, do you happen to have that Saison recipe?

+1 to leaving the fruit in for at least a month.

+1 to it breaking down in the beer, i racked using a nylon bag over my auto-siphon.

Saison recipe is

69.6% 2-row
8.7% carafoam
8.7% flaked wheat
8.7% white wheat
4.3% acidulated malt
.88 oz Challenger @ 60 (24 ibus)
.88 sterling @ 5m (4.8 ibus)
2 g paradise seeds @ 5m
WLP670

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 11:30:29 am »

Are you talking 2-3 weeks in the primary?

you will want to wait till primary fermentation is done. you can add them to the primary vessel if you want or transfer the beer to a secondary vessel and add them there.

If you freeze the fruit first, then thaw it will help release juice. although with rasperries that's less of an issue.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 11:39:31 am »
Any thoughts on sanitizing?  Will a light rinse like I do before I eat them be enough? 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 11:45:10 am »
Any thoughts on sanitizing?  Will a light rinse like I do before I eat them be enough?

I don't worry about sanitizing fruit myself but I have had infections caused by fruit additions. I just didn't mind cause they were still tasty. Generally the low pH and alcohol content will prevent spoilage but it is a risk.

it's hard to sanitize fruit though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 11:59:27 am »

I don't worry about sanitizing fruit myself but I have had infections caused by fruit additions. I just didn't mind cause they were still tasty. Generally the low pH and alcohol content will prevent spoilage but it is a risk.

it's hard to sanitize fruit though.

+1
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 01:10:08 pm »
If you freeze the fruit first, then thaw it will help release juice. although with rasperries that's less of an issue.

That's my SOP with most fruit. I put it through a hard freeze, let it thaw, then crush them in the baggie before dumping them in the fermenter.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 09:19:06 am »

You could throw them in some starsan or heat them to pasteurization temperatures although the latter risks setting a pectin haze. That probably isn't a problem for a wheat beer though.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 09:55:15 am »
i just rinsed mine under some water before adding them.

You could let them sit in some 100+ proof vodka for a bit to sanitize them and then add the whole mixture to the brew.