Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Extract to all-grain  (Read 1053 times)

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
Re: Extract to all-grain
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2024, 04:57:22 pm »
The quote was getting larger and larger, so I'll just respond without the quote.

If Kveik will ferment up to 100 degrees, that would do it for me! The temp in my unused bathroom was 83 an' some a week or so ago when it was 100-plus outside, so up to 100 inside would not be a problem. We're never going to see that, anyway. I would assume I can get it at my LBHS in Reno.
No matter what you decide to do, remember that when you are fermenting you can always wrap your fermenter in some towels which you keep wet and the evaporation of the water causes cooling, so it will help to keep it cooler than it would be just sitting at ambient temp. I don't think there's ever a downside to at least trying to stay close to Ideal fermentation temperature. Even if it's just a few degrees for the very first day of active fermentation, it's something. It's worth putting a big tray underneath the fermenter to catch the extra water and just pour a little water on the towels every couple hours so they don't dry out. And even if they dry out because you have a life to live somewhere and you had to leave, you helped it stay cooler part of the time.

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2024, 05:30:01 pm »
If Kveik will ferment up to 100 degrees, that would do it for me!

Per Lallemand: “LalBrew Voss™ supports a wide range of fermentation temperatures between 25 – 40°C (77 – 104°F) with a very high optimal range of 35 – 40°C (95 – 104°F). Very fast fermentations are achieved within the optimal temperature range with full attenuation typically achieved within 2-3 days. The flavor profile is consistent across the entire temperature range: neutral with subtle fruity notes of orange and citrus.” [Emphasis added.]
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2024, 07:04:22 pm »
What would I be tasting with Kveik versus Safale US05? I want my beer to taste like Revision IPA (  www.revisionbrewing.com  ), Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA and/or Bell's Two-Hearted IPA (  www.bellsbeer.com  ). All of these are hoppy, with IBU ratings in the 50 - 60 range. Of the three, I have to give the nod to the Two-Hearted IPA as my favorite. It's just dam-ned good...

No matter what people say, kveik is not a clean yeast.

I agree.  Rarely have I tasted a kveik that I thought was reasonably normal tasting.

I guess maybe kveik is "clean" if you cover it up with a pound of hops.   ;D

Same goes for US-05 actually.  It's really NOT that clean.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 07:06:13 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2024, 06:17:19 am »
I had high hopes for Kveik, but it never met my hopes.  It is tolerable in some styles, but as a lager - not so much.  Just my preference….
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2024, 08:08:28 am »
What would I be tasting with Kveik versus Safale US05? I want my beer to taste like Revision IPA (  www.revisionbrewing.com  ), Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA and/or Bell's Two-Hearted IPA (  www.bellsbeer.com  ). All of these are hoppy, with IBU ratings in the 50 - 60 range. Of the three, I have to give the nod to the Two-Hearted IPA as my favorite. It's just dam-ned good...

No matter what people say, kveik is not a clean yeast.

I agree.  Rarely have I tasted a kveik that I thought was reasonably normal tasting.

I guess maybe kveik is "clean" if you cover it up with a pound of hops.   ;D

Same goes for US-05 actually.  It's really NOT that clean.

No, it's not, but it's worlds cleaner than kveik.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2024, 08:10:22 am »
I've never tried any kveik strain, but parsing different forums here and there, it seems to me that Lutra is generally considered the cleanest (define "clean" as you see fit).  I want to believe that's true because it could come in handy every now and again.  It was my intention to give Lutra a shot this summer, but it seems unlikely at this point.   I would imagine, just like other yeast's performances in other brewer's brewhouses, kveik strains will require some getting used to when finding its sweetest spot.