Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Free Amino Nitrogen  (Read 232 times)

Offline GarySped

• 1st Kit
Free Amino Nitrogen
« on: June 21, 2024, 07:31:21 pm »
I was researching the web tonight and came across a post here on Free Amino Nitrogen. I was going to comment, however it said poost over 120 days old - start a new topic.

It gives me a chance to reintroduce myself. I have been a member of the AHA in the past and active at the BA many years, publishing with them on brewing matters. I did write a paper for the J- American Soc. Brew. Chemists on FAN - hence my post idea.

Recently I came up with Beer (and Spirits) flavor maps and happy to share those with any interested brewers.

I am gary@bdastesting.com of BDAS, LLC. 

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
Re: Free Amino Nitrogen
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2024, 01:15:06 am »
You might want to at least link what thread you were referring to.

There is a brief mention of it in this interview. But actively trying to control it is avoided for reasons mentioned in the interview. 
https://beersmith.com/tv/2024/01/dms-in-beer-with-dr-charlie-bamforth-beersmith-podcast-296/

He also wrote this paper on it, and possibly more. 
https://www.mdpi.com/2311-5637/5/1/22
Google charles bamforth free amino nitrogen

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2024, 06:40:37 am »
Nice meeting you Gary.
I am Ricardo.

I would love to see the flavor maps. One can always learn something new.
Please provide the reference to your article in JABC so I can search it.

Most updated review on FAN in brewing I know is the one Graham Stewart wrote with Anita Hill on 2019. Many references and a complete picture of where we are.

All the best

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2024, 09:03:32 am »
I was researching the web tonight and came across a post here on Free Amino Nitrogen. I was going to comment, however it said poost over 120 days old - start a new topic.

It gives me a chance to reintroduce myself. I have been a member of the AHA in the past and active at the BA many years, publishing with them on brewing matters. I did write a paper for the J- American Soc. Brew. Chemists on FAN - hence my post idea.

Recently I came up with Beer (and Spirits) flavor maps and happy to share those with any interested brewers.

I am gary@bdastesting.com of BDAS, LLC.

Hi Gary. Nice to see you here. We were on HBD together many years ago.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2024, 04:52:43 pm »
I would love to read the paper

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2024, 07:25:54 am »
The only paper I see mentioned in this thread is the one I linked.  It doesn't open for you???

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2024, 09:25:36 am »
The only paper I see mentioned in this thread is the one I linked.  It doesn't open for you???

OP said he wrote "a paper for the J- American Soc. Brew. Chemists on FAN".
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.