Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question About T-58  (Read 219 times)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Question About T-58
« on: July 05, 2024, 01:16:16 pm »
I recently brewed a Belgian Pale Ale with BE-256.  The beer came out good but didn't have a lot of the Belgian character that my wife wants.  The character was very subdued.  I was first thinking of using T-58 in the next iteration of this beer but have seen some negative comments about the yeast especially from Dave Taylor whose opinions on yeast I strongly respect.  Another thought was to use Wyeast 3522 which would mean making a starter that I was trying to not have to make but will do one if it is the better strain.

I know that a BPA is not supposed to have a lot of phenolics in it but am trying to suit my wife's palate.  I don't want to overdo it and have it taste like a Belgian IPA.  I can probably control the temperature to keep it cooler to keep the phenolics on the lower side.

So I am looking for feedback on whether I should can the idea of using T-58 (I am now thinking of maybe leaning toward 3522).  Inquiring minds want to know.  TIA
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Question About T-58
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2024, 01:19:31 pm »
IMO, T58 is OK but kinda bland. I'd go 3522 all day over it. If you don't hop like an IPA, it won't taste like a Belgian IPA. Think A'Chouffe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2024, 02:04:07 pm »
I actually like T-58, but in my experience, it will be very restrained in its Belgian character. I know Fermentis's website says "intense fruity and phenolic flavors", but my experience has been "mild fruity and phenolic undertones".
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2024, 03:41:19 pm »
Another vote for 3522. It and 3787 are my favorite Belgian yeasts, hands down.

The dry Belgian yeasts are okay, and I keep them in stock when I am not sure when I am going to get a chance to brew. But they aren't as good as 3787 and 3522.

I recently split a batch between 3787 and 1388 (Duvel) yeast. 1388 is pretty nice if you want restrained phenolics, but I definitely preferred the 3787 version with it's fruity esters.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2024, 05:23:12 pm »
i haven't used T58 in forever, and i don't think i would imagine doing so again. but for absoplute beginner brewers i think it is a great choice for a dry yeast if you just want a simple beer. i always found my t58 beers tasty and with no-fuss fermentations.

interesting goose - about BE256 - i dont know what to think about it.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2024, 10:06:41 am »
I actually like T-58, but in my experience, it will be very restrained in its Belgian character. I know Fermentis's website says "intense fruity and phenolic flavors", but my experience has been "mild fruity and phenolic undertones".

to me, t-58 is just a black pepper bomb

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2024, 11:03:27 am »
:-X

Do you ferment really hot or something? I've gotten very, very restrained yeast character the times I've used T-58.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2024, 11:06:28 am »

Do you ferment really hot or something? I've gotten very, very restrained yeast character the times I've used T-58.

I used to ferment it at 63F and got dominant black pepper
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2024, 12:04:53 pm »

its been a long time since I used it, but I typically ferment most my beers on teh cool side. I didnt feel the need to continue using t-58 because I didnt care for the pepper flavor

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2024, 02:21:03 pm »
i haven't used T58 in forever, and i don't think i would imagine doing so again. but for absoplute beginner brewers i think it is a great choice for a dry yeast if you just want a simple beer. i always found my t58 beers tasty and with no-fuss fermentations.

interesting goose - about BE256 - i dont know what to think about it.
I've used BE 256 several times. I had the pretty much the same impression as Goose - some Belgian character, but not intense. I like it in a Belgian Pale Ale.