Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast question  (Read 406 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Yeast question
« on: June 15, 2024, 06:18:23 pm »
Next week, my plan is to do a blonde ale with no dry hops.  Basically, 1/2 ounce of bittering and 2 ounces of later boil hops for flavor and aroma.  My thought is, get ingredients to do another beer so that when I either bottle or keg the blonde, I can use the yeast, probably BRY 97, for a pale ale or something of that nature.  Thoughts?  it will be in the bucket fermenter and I will probably use it the next day, so I will have the bucket sit in my ferm fridge at the 66 or so that I fermed the blonde at.  It would be a day or so sitting, so I don't think that is going to be a big deal, but wanted to ask the experts.  Thoughts?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Yeast question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2024, 07:41:00 pm »
So you want to add new wort for a second batch to your previous yeast cake?  Yes that will work quite well.  In fact you only need to save a small portion of the previous cake, you can dump out most of it and just use a few ounces.  It will work great either way.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2024, 08:17:30 am »
Yes, you can do that, but I get better results by only using 1/3-1/2 of the slurry
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2024, 10:08:42 am »
Yes you can do it that way. Just remember to keep the yeast under a layer of beer while storing it.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2024, 11:11:55 am »
Awesome.  Thanks to all who replied.  Gonna give it a go.  I have a few mason jars of different sizes that I will use.  Half and half is probably how I will start and go from there. 

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2024, 02:02:07 pm »
I don't think these guys are trying to tell you to put the stuff in jars and wait. I think what they mean is take half of it out of the fermenter or maybe a little more than half and put your next wort in there. You're done. No cleaning, no anything. If you want to save the stuff you pull out, that's fine, but only if you need it for something else.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2024, 03:33:47 pm »
I don't think these guys are trying to tell you to put the stuff in jars and wait. I think what they mean is take half of it out of the fermenter or maybe a little more than half and put your next wort in there. You're done. No cleaning, no anything. If you want to save the stuff you pull out, that's fine, but only if you need it for something else.

That's what I was getting at.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2024, 08:42:20 pm »

That is exactly how I took it.  I was just thinking out loud I guess and thinking another batch ahead to see if I can run with this for a few batches, but if I have to dump half so be it.  Thank you for checking, sometimes my messages don't come thru as intended. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2024, 02:03:32 am »
Well, I did as you all suggested.  Bottled my blonde ale, swirled the yeast to get as much into suspension as I could.  Sanitized a mason jar and poured about 8 or so ounces in it and that went into the fridge.  The rest, I just simply cooled my wort to about 70 degrees and pitched it right on top of the remaining yeast.  I was thinking I was a bit low on my guess, but I went with it.  I have a fresh packet of yeast just in case.  Well, about 4 to 5 hours later I noticed a shift in the water level of my airlock.  At about the 8 hour mark it was bubbling nicely.  I am at about 12 hour mark and it has taken off.  Rapid bubbling in the airlock.  I am fermenting at about 63 to 64 degrees, the halfway point I think with Bry97 and it seems to be doing well.  If this works out and I figure out how to use yeast and store it, I am going to start a small bank of mason jars with yeast I use more frequently and liquid yeasts that I want to use more often.  This is pretty cool, hopefully it keeps going.  My plan is to let it ride for about a week or so.  Dry hop and keg after about 3 to 4 days and chill, carb and enjoy.

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2024, 06:18:16 am »
That's cool! I did a repitch several weeks ago that was it full activity in 2 hours. So sometimes they go even faster.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2024, 09:39:21 am »
That's cool! I did a repitch several weeks ago that was it full activity in 2 hours. So sometimes they go even faster.

That's really cool.  I was shocked this morning when I woke up to see how intense the bubbling was.  I can actually hear it with the ferm fridge closed.  LOL.  Either way, so far it has been pretty cool to watch and try.  We will see how the beer comes out.