Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sourvisiae  (Read 313 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Sourvisiae
« on: July 10, 2024, 02:29:46 pm »
Has anyone had any experience with this strain?

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: Sourvisiae
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 07:53:43 pm »
Have you read Sui Generis' write up?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline BrewBama

Sourvisiae
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 05:56:45 am »
I had not. …but it was a quick read. I found it interesting that the conclusion is that Philly Sour produced a pleasant slight tartness while Sourvisiae produced a near undrinkable sourness.  This is unsettling.

I am not a huge sour beer fan. It sounds like the two sour beers I need to brew will be better off using Philly Sour. My concern is the bad press I’ve seen/heard with Philly Sour. I could go with a kettle sour but the unpredictability and increased effort with a kettle sour process make this a turn off.  Not to mention contamination.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 05:58:56 am by BrewBama »

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2024, 09:56:35 am »
the thought of introducing a hop tolerant, acid producing organism into my brewery does give me some concern

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2024, 08:32:11 pm »
S. cerevisiae will handily out compete L. thermotolerans (PhillySour) in wort. It should pose essentially zero contamination risk.

I've gotten a distinct grapefruit note every time I've used PhillySour. Which is fine (or even helpful) if that works for your recipe. If not 🤷‍♂️.
The Other Drew

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024, 08:44:01 pm »
I had not. …but it was a quick read. I found it interesting that the conclusion is that Philly Sour produced a pleasant slight tartness while Sourvisiae produced a near undrinkable sourness.  This is unsettling.

I am not a huge sour beer fan. It sounds like the two sour beers I need to brew will be better off using Philly Sour. My concern is the bad press I’ve seen/heard with Philly Sour. I could go with a kettle sour but the unpredictability and increased effort with a kettle sour process make this a turn off.  Not to mention contamination.

He has a head-to-head comparison, too.
The Other Drew

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2024, 09:39:33 pm »
Have you considered co-pitching another sacc strain with sourvisiae? I believe that has become the typical process to moderate acidity with this strain.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline BrewBama

Sourvisiae
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2024, 06:57:27 am »
I have considered co-pitching an Ale strain. That seems fairly unpredictable as well but it could be the way to go.

I have several batches between now and then to study the problem. I like the luxury of time to investigate and develop a course of action.

Until then I am all ears.

He has a head-to-head comparison, too.

Thx. I just read it and again Philly Sour is getting bad press with a soap-like off flavor. A cpl of brewers in my club also described an off putting flavor that is concerning.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 07:08:40 am by BrewBama »