Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Value proposition of Homebrewcon  (Read 1401 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Value proposition of Homebrewcon
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 08:43:56 am »
I live in the most draconian state in the union when it comes to alcohol laws. Yet, we served beer for a fund raiser in a public space between two commercial breweries while they were serving in their brewpubs. First time I ever saw the two most popular HomeBrew clubs in the area at the same event. There were plenty of independent home brewers serving as well. I’ve been hearing that same BS line about “not being able to serve HomeBrew in the South so you can’t have HBC there” for a decade.  It’s just a myth.  We have an annual brew fest at the convention center right downtown.  It can be done.

No, it's not a myth. Obviously a different situation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Value proposition of Homebrewcon
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2024, 02:18:48 pm »
You’re right, it’s not a myth. It’s experience.

I’ve seen and participated in serving homebrew to ticketed participants right here in huntspatch. I’ve been to brewfests and I have served beer intermingled with commercial sales. I’ve walked down the sidewalk with a beer in my hand in the arts and entertainment district.

Hell, we even have electricity now. (Don’t tell the rocket scientists)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 02:36:01 pm by BrewBama »

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2024, 12:06:00 pm »
So in NC we can have homebrew at an event not opened to the public. A beer festival would be considered opened to the public and subject to NCABC rules. A member's only festival can serve and servers can consume since it is member's only. So one homebrew festival which happens close to my house is member's only. Most of the member's are not homebrewers.

What's interesting about all this is an event like HBC, which is member's only, could now be held in NC.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2024, 04:10:31 pm »
I’ve been to brewfests and I have served beer intermingled with commercial sales.

People find ways to make it happen -- Auburn Oktoberfest for example -- but the language in the law sure could be improved.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2024, 10:35:55 am »
Hello all, thank you for this thread and for sharing what you liked about Homebrew Con (HBC). I realize having no Homebrew Con in 2024 has been disappointing; I will miss it this year, too, but we needed more members to attend 2022 and 2023 to continue with HBC in the same manner it was organized in the recent past.

I'm preparing an update on AHA at GABF (10/10-10/12) in 2024 for members. It will share many more details beyond what is shared here https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/aha-events/homebrew-hq-gabf/.

Ensure you get your AHA newsletter https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/newsletter-signup/ and opt-in to receive emails. The update will also be posted on HomebrewersAssociation.org. I look forward to updating everyone soon and seeing those who go to Denver in October. Cheers, Julia
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director
American Homebrewers Association | Boulder, CO 80302

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Value proposition of Homebrewcon
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2024, 12:00:22 pm »
I live in the most draconian state in the union when it comes to alcohol laws. Yet, we served beer for a fund raiser in a public space between two commercial breweries while they were serving in their brewpubs. First time I ever saw the two most popular HomeBrew clubs in the area at the same event. There were plenty of independent home brewers serving as well. I’ve been hearing that same BS line about “not being able to serve HomeBrew in the South so you can’t have HBC there” for a decade.  It’s just a myth.  We have an annual brew fest at the convention center right downtown.  It can be done.

No, it's not a myth. Obviously a different situation.
Denny, I owe you an apology.

This subject came up at the HomeBrew club meeting last night. While there is no doubt that serving HomeBrew alongside commercial beer to the public, on public land has/is happening, the club lawyer (we have a guy) said this is illegal.

I’ve been to brewfests and I have served beer intermingled with commercial sales.

People find ways to make it happen -- Auburn Oktoberfest for example -- but the language in the law sure could be improved.

This was the opinion: the language has to be rewritten to make a HomeBrew Fest on public land serving the public legal. However, if HomeBrew is served on private property to a private group it is OK. Which is why we can share beer at the HomeBrew club meeting.

Again, I was an @$$ and was wrong. Therefore, I apologize. I stand corrected.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 12:04:45 pm by BrewBama »