Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need help with Mango Wheat Recipe  (Read 247 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Need help with Mango Wheat Recipe
« on: May 19, 2024, 06:42:22 pm »
I'm planning my first mango wheat brew and wandering if the recipe calculator I'm using is leading me astray.

Fermentables are as follows for a 7 gallon batch:

6 lbs. American Pilsner                                   38.9%
5 lbs. Sugar Creek Pale Wheat Malt                 32.4%
0.60 lbs.American Vienna                                 3.9%

3 lb. Mango Puree late addition in fermenter 19.9%     

I wanted about 33%-35% wheat malt, but I think the addition of the mango puree distorts the percentages since it is going in the fermenter late and according to calculator only adds about 5 ppg to the brew.

I'm considering omitting the mango puree from the calculations and now the fermentables in the mash would be:

6 lbs. American Pilsner                                        60%
3.5 lbs.  Wheat Malt                                            34%
0.60 lbs American Vienna                                      6%

The late addition of the mango puree in the fermenter would add a few gravity points, which I'm not sure how to calculate in advance, but could determine by gravity readings later.

This would be my first wheat beer so I would add about 1 lb. of rice hulls to the mash.  Is 1 lb. enough?

Advice please and thanks in advance for your comments.

Sorry for all the bold face and italics; I can't seem to get rid of them.  I only wanted to emphasize the late addition of the mango puree after the mash.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Need help with Mango Wheat Recipe
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 08:17:29 am »
I wouldn't worry about the discrepancy in wheat amounts. Doubt you'd notice the difference.

A lb of hulls is way more than enough. Generally, a handful is fine. Rinse them before using so they don't absorb mash liquor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 10:05:55 am »
I calculate recipes prior to adding any adjunct that contributes sugar to get the percentages right and then add the adjuncts. Depending on your software, you can also set the recipe percentages you want and also add rice hulls to get the right water volumes. (I know beersmith calculates absorption for the hulls.) Once you have the grist percentages set as you want them, you can disregard the percentages modified by the mango and rice hulls.

A pound of rice hulls is probably more than you need. 1-2 handfulls is usually enough for that batch size. If you have problems with stuck mashes/sparges with all barley mashes, I would use more. If that's not typically a problem then you should be ok using less. It won't hurt to use more if you want that peace of mind.

I would look at the sugar content of the puree label rather than whatever the software or calculator uses as a default. Some fruit purees have sugar or other fruit added which can affect your final ABV. Even all mango purees can vary in sugar content based on fruit ripeness and water content.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2024, 12:58:37 pm »
Thanks. 

Regarding the contribution the puree would make, I thought I'd brew in the 4% ABV range from the malted grains alone and let the gravity and ABV finish a bit higher. 

I will, however,  recalculate when I have the puree label to look at.  This is my first attempt at a wheat beer and I'm using a recipe I concocted from the style guide for wheat beers in Randy Mosher's Mastering Homebrew.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!