Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cellar Science Yeast?  (Read 455 times)

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Cellar Science Yeast?
« on: June 14, 2024, 08:54:26 am »

So what's the deal with Cellar Science yeasts? 

I've only ever used Lallemand and Fermentis for dry yeast.  But Cellar Science seems to have an ever-growing selection, and they're consistently 30-50% cheaper than Lallemand and Fermentis.  Are they any good?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Cellar Science Yeast?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2024, 09:01:59 am »

So what's the deal with Cellar Science yeasts? 

I've only ever used Lallemand and Fermentis for dry yeast.  But Cellar Science seems to have an ever-growing selection, and they're consistently 30-50% cheaper than Lallemand and Fermentis.  Are they any good?
Yes.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2024, 09:05:55 am »
I have used their Cali yeast with good results.  With that said, I am not a pro so take it for what it is worth.  I think it started a bit slow if I remember right,  but seemed to do what it was supposed to do. 

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2024, 10:19:24 am »
I have used:

Cali (ok) - reportedly US-05, though I'm not convinced, as it seems slightly different
German (solid) - basically 34/70, I think
Baja (decent) - might be Modelo's or a slight downgrade of it; it has been solid enough but not necessarily amazing as I had hoped

I just got a packet of Monk (Belgian trappist??)  which I will be trying out in the coming months for Tripel, Quad, and other experiments.  My experiences with the other Cellar Science products were good enough to convince me to try out Monk. 

The prices are easy to like, and the beers have all turned out solid enoough (so far), but I have other dry yeasts (Diamond, S-189, Verdant, Koln, etc) that I like a bit better, so I am not sure how often I'll use CS yeast.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 10:28:05 am by ScallyWag »

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2024, 02:07:48 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably give them a try next time I need yeast.
The Other Drew

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2024, 07:42:45 am »
I'm a big fan of it. I've used almost all of their strains, and great results.
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2024, 08:26:49 pm »
I guess I am the oddball. As much as I really wanted them to be outstanding, I did not care for the results with the Cellar Science yeast strains I tried.  I got slow starts, sluggish fermentation, mediocre attenuation, ‘interesting’ flavors, etc.  I quickly went back to tried and true even if I am paying more.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2024, 01:46:29 pm »
I guess I am the oddball. As much as I really wanted them to be outstanding, I did not care for the results with the Cellar Science yeast strains I tried.  I got slow starts, sluggish fermentation, mediocre attenuation, ‘interesting’ flavors, etc.  I quickly went back to tried and true even if I am paying more.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Which strains did you try?  I was mostly looking at their Voss and Acid (which seems to be their Lanchancea strain).
The Other Drew

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Cellar Science Yeast?
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2024, 03:23:50 pm »
I tried Baja, English, and Cali.

Edit: John and Mike at Brew Dudes seem to like Cellar Science yeast strains.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 06:25:07 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2024, 03:50:17 pm »
I also tried Baja and also found it just ok.  I made the exact same beer (8 months apart, mind you), one with Baja, one with WY2112.  Both cleared beautifully, but Baja was a bit bready to me, not as crisp as I would have liked.  2112 was fantastic.

Granted, I’m a half-arsed lager brewer.