Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Angel Yellow Label Yeast  (Read 514 times)

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Angel Yellow Label Yeast
« on: May 05, 2024, 07:25:09 pm »

I stumbled across a question about this over on r/homebrewing. It's apparently a yeast product that can directly ferment starch sources without a mash. It seems to be marketed mostly for distilling, but has anyone tried it for making ersatz sake or chicha or something similar?

https://en.angelyeast.com/products/distilled-spirits-and-biofuels/angel-leaven-yellow-label.html
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Angel Yellow Label Yeast
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 06:16:19 pm »

I stumbled across a question about this over on r/homebrewing. It's apparently a yeast product that can directly ferment starch sources without a mash. It seems to be marketed mostly for distilling, but has anyone tried it for making ersatz sake or chicha or something similar?

https://en.angelyeast.com/products/distilled-spirits-and-biofuels/angel-leaven-yellow-label.html

im busy rn so cant confirm the details but im 99% sure this is a variety of aspergillus oryzae or the red rice mold. it is basically a non super pure koji. it works in synchronicity with yeast where the mould breaks down the starch and the yeast ferments the sugar from that starch.

it is kind of a hassle to manage unless you have great temp control and it would work, but imho compared to the week+ of monitoring it and stirring its easier to just do a simple mash at 149F or whatever.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 07:47:08 am »

For fermentation of un-cooked grain

Recipes:
100 kg (220 lb) of rice, corn or other grain
250-300 kg (550-660 lb) of hot water
0.3-0.6 kg (0.66-1.32 lb) of Angel leaven (yellow label)

Method:

1) Mill the grain (ideally to use small course pieces), and mix the dry grain with 250-300kg (550-660 lb) of hot water.

2) Add 0.5-0.8kg (1.10-1.76Ib) of Angel leaven (yellow label) after the temperature is naturally cooled to about 32℃ (90°F) (mix to prevent from sedimentation).

3) Evenly mix, and ferment for 8-15 days.

4) Mix twice every day in the first three days (please ensure the temperature is 28-36℃ (82-97 °F)).

5) The optimal fermentation temperature is about 32℃ (90°F), in the short period, the highest fermentation temperature shall not be over 38℃ (100°F), and take the heat insulation measure when the temperature is below 26℃ (79°F).

There's some stirring the first three days, but we're getting close to time of year when I could hold those temps just by leaving the fermenter in my un-air-conditioned storage room.
The Other Drew

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 10:24:58 am »
This sounds more like a yeast that is copackaged with some sort of amylase to me. That gets the DIY-er in me wondering whether you could achieve something sililar using Amylase plus a kviek yeast. I've been using Lutra dry yeast in my meads this year and I really enjoy the fermentation character I'm getting from my meads. I could see it working in a bastardized saki/soju type brew.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 03:30:17 pm »
That may be what it is. The English on their website is pretty sketchy, but lists it as:

Angel leaven is a kind of specially-selected strain and enzyme for alcohol beverage fermentation with cooking or un-cooking process.
(Emphasis added.)

I can probably buy amylase and a yeast that I know I like for a better value at the homebrew scale. (I haven't tried Lutra yet, but I've been reasonably happy with Voss.)  Gelatinize the starch and add the enzymes, then pitch normal yeast.

Ever since my sister gave me some JT Melleck 100% rice whisk(e)y, I've thinking about how best to do a 100% rice beer.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 03:41:40 pm by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 10:14:08 am »
This looks like a low temperature-activated amylase and dried yeast packaged together. It's probably a distilling strain with high alcohol tolerance.

This product is designed for a contemporaneous starch conversion and fermentation in the fermentation vessel. You wouldn't be able to use it for brewing unless you decide to ferment on the grain and then rack off the grain. You're begging for infected beer because you're never hitting pasteurization temperatures, not to mention ending up with a dry, thin beer.

This works for basically any starch conversion where you aren't relying on pitching microbes to convert starches (e.g. sake) or enzymes in grain (e.g. mashing malted grains). A similar approach is used in distilled beverages to ensure full conversion especially with spirits made from a high portion of non-malted grains. It's cheaper and easier to get amylase powder and yeast separately and accomplish the same thing. Although you can make a fermented rice beverage using this, you're going to miss out on some of the fermentation flavor. The fungus used in sake to convert starches is responsible for the citrusy flavor in sake which I consider an important part of the flavor profile.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2024, 11:20:26 am »

Thanks for feedback, everyone. I think what I'll do is just stick with tradition in this case and find a high-DP base malt (maybe like Rahr 6-row) and do high percentage of rice with a traditional cereal mash process.
The Other Drew