Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White labs clarity ferm changes beer taste?  (Read 386 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
White labs clarity ferm changes beer taste?
« on: May 08, 2024, 07:50:39 am »
White labs clarity ferm it’s supposed to decrease gluten significantly and be clarifier. I decided to use it on one of my beers that I’ve brewed many times since my wife might be sensitive to gluten. I brewed the IPA exactly as I usually do without any other deviation.  Since this is essentially my house IPA I know what it’s supposed to taste like in this one tastes completely different. It’s got a very harsh bitterness with no flavor at all. I’m assuming it’s the clarity ferm since I didn’t change anything else in the recipe……. unless I made a large mistake I don’t know about. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience? Its likely I won’t  use it again, which is a bummer cause I really wanted to make some gluten reduced beer for my wife  .
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
Re: White labs clarity ferm changes beer taste?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 07:59:32 am »
It's not Clarity Ferm.
You did something wrong.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 09:08:19 am »
I agree with lupulus. I have used Clarity Ferm many times and it has never affected the taste of my beer.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 11:34:40 am »
Good to know
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 04:36:25 pm »
I’ll make it three - not the CF. I use it all the time. Also, I’ve posted this before, but in case you or others missed it. I brewed an NEIPA with I believe 10% wheat malt. Had it tested and it came back <10 ppm gluten. I sleep well at night knowing it works.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
  • When your beer has a smell like a Pilsner Urquell
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 01:29:11 am »
Sorry for hijacking, but I found a vial of Clarity Ferm in my fridge, and it's about five years old. Should I throw it in my next brew (an amber ale) and see what happens, or is that just inviting disaster?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2024, 08:53:59 am »
I don't know if it would do anything bad, but I am pretty sure that it won't do the job you want it to do. The active ingredient is an enzyme, which has probably broken down and been inactivated by now. I wouldn't use it.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2024, 11:41:02 am »
^ Agreed. I believe the shelf life is 12 months.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa