Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lalbrew Verdant IPA Yeast  (Read 28180 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Lalbrew Verdant IPA Yeast
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2024, 05:12:33 pm »
i would estimate i lost about 10 maybe 15% of the total amount of wort/beer to the head coming out of the blowoff tube. interesting but kind of not cool.

started it at 59F, for just maybe 12 hours, moved it and assumed it would be in the mid 60s, it was at 72F and a ton of foam was coming out at highspeed.

pretty crazy, thoughts?

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
  • When your beer has a smell like a Pilsner Urquell
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2024, 09:47:32 pm »
I've been using Verdant for a few years now, and nowadays I use it on maybe 2/3 of my batches. My impression is that I used to get quite a bit of kräusen when I pitched a full sachet for 18L or so (almost 5 gallons) of wort. Nowadays, I pitch maybe 1/2 to 2/3 that, and I haven't had a big kräusen in quite some time. Take that with a grain of salt, though. It could be something else, or a combination of things, but I generally brew the same APAs, porters and ambers without changing much in terms of recipe or method.

EDIT: woke up this morning to two inches of Verdant IPA kräusen, a 17L APA batch that I'd pitched 2/3 of a sachet into. Came home from work a little a while ago, and it had already dropped.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 04:31:25 am by saaz amore »

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2024, 08:37:15 am »
i would estimate i lost about 10 maybe 15% of the total amount of wort/beer to the head coming out of the blowoff tube. interesting but kind of not cool.

started it at 59F, for just maybe 12 hours, moved it and assumed it would be in the mid 60s, it was at 72F and a ton of foam was coming out at highspeed.

pretty crazy, thoughts?
How about providing more head-space in your fermenter either by reducing your batch size or putting your wort in a larger fermenter.  Nothing wrong with a strong vigorous fermentation.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2024, 09:06:06 am »

pretty crazy, thoughts?
How about providing more head-space in your fermenter either by reducing your batch size or putting your wort in a larger fermenter.  Nothing wrong with a strong vigorous fermentation.

This
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2024, 11:22:27 am »

pretty crazy, thoughts?

carboy looked about 85% full of wort. its approx 21 litres in a 23.5 litre carboy. i expect a lot of foam, but just indicating this was way more than i ever expected. update is that fermentation has died down immensely to the point where it is basiclaly done now. very fast yeast, i followed lallemand's pitch rate instructions as well, though it is a bit of an overpitch as i have a lower OG than expected.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2024, 04:01:16 pm »

pretty crazy, thoughts?

carboy looked about 85% full of wort. its approx 21 litres in a 23.5 litre carboy. i expect a lot of foam, but just indicating this was way more than i ever expected. update is that fermentation has died down immensely to the point where it is basiclaly done now. very fast yeast, i followed lallemand's pitch rate instructions as well, though it is a bit of an overpitch as i have a lower OG than expected.

ROT is 35-40% open space in fermenter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2024, 01:27:46 pm »

pretty crazy, thoughts?

I believe that Verdant is a top-cropping strain, and this amount of krausen would not be surprising. I use it often, but I ferment in a keg with a bit of backpressure, so I've never seen how this strain works in a traditional fermenter. I wouldn't be surprised if it acts like a hefe strain and needs a bunch more headspace than usual, though.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2024, 05:12:09 pm »
I wasn't all that impressed with Verdant after trying it a couple times, but then someone mentioned it needs to run hot to get all the complex flavor and aromas that everyone talks about. I was leaving it around 65-68F but after I let it go up to 72F, I got a really different beer out of it. I have one in the fermenter now that hit 74F at one point. I just pulled a sample tonight and oh wow, it's got a lot going on. I guess it can handle 77F but not sure I'll push it that hard (https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/products/lalbrew-verdant-ipa/)

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
  • When your beer has a smell like a Pilsner Urquell
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2024, 01:56:48 am »
It's definitely a top-cropper. I always start around 68 and then bump up the temp to around 73 after two days. I've had it get up to 77 with no noticeable issues.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2024, 03:39:39 am »
It's definitely a top-cropper. I always start around 68 and then bump up the temp to around 73 after two days. I've had it get up to 77 with no noticeable issues.

Good to know. I noticed earlier in the thread, tommymorris posted a pic showing the temp range only went up to 73F so things have changed a bit with this yeast in the past few years.