Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling hard seltzer  (Read 429 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Bottling hard seltzer
« on: March 07, 2024, 10:54:35 am »
I am doing a 5 gallon batch of hard seltzer and while it has taken a lot longer to get to the 1.000 that the instructions say it should be at, it finally got there.  So, now I want to bottle it.  My plan was to use the same 12oz beer bottles I use for my home brew.  On another forum, somebody posted that it might be a problem to carb and bottle seltzer in these bottles.  I don't quite understand why?  It would seem to me, if the bottles can hold beer they should be able to hold any type of carbonated drink, right?  Any input is welcomed as I plan on doing this in the next few days.  Thanks 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Bottling hard seltzer
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 11:40:18 am »
I think the concern is that seltzer is carbonated much more highly than beer. A typical beer is carbonated to 2.5ish volumes of CO2, where seltzer is usually around 4 volumes. The rule of thumb is that the typical beer bottle is safe to about 3 volumes of CO2. You can probably push it a bit more, but you're risking bottle bombs.

Your safest options are either to go with lower carbonation (but seltzer isn't the same without that level of fizz in my opinion), or seek out bottles that are meant to hold higher carbonation (beer bottles from Hefeweizens or Belgian beer, or PET soda bottles). You could probably also use a Sodastream if you have one.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 11:58:59 am »
Well crud.  That is not exactly what I wanted to hear.  I was all set to use my 16oz flip top clear bottles but they are glass and I think they are for beer only.  I don't want to drop a whole lot more into this as it is probably the last time I do it.  I hate to pour it down the drain, but if I have to so be it.  Thanks for the reply, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear  LOL

I guess as a follow up, I have 5 ounces of corn sugar I was going to use for the 5 gallons of seltzer.  Being that this was in my NB starter kit, would it not be enough for the seltzer? 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 12:03:06 pm »
5 ounces of corn sugar will get you to about 2.8-3.0 volumes. that's safe for normal beer bottles. Try it and see what you think. It probably won't be exactly the same as a commercial seltzer, but it might be enough for your palate.
Eric B.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 12:11:52 pm »
Thanks for the fast reply.  I think I am going to.  This is my second attempt, and to be honest, unless something great happens will probably be my last.  LOL.  I am a beer guy. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 01:08:52 pm »
It's so much easier if you have kegging equipment to be honest. Fermentation creates some flavors that may not be what you're looking for. It's really simple to just add flavoring, water and Everclear/vodka/white rum together in a keg or soda bottle, then carbonate. Good luck with this one!
Eric B.