Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial Stout with Lutra Kveik  (Read 480 times)

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
Imperial Stout with Lutra Kveik
« on: January 28, 2024, 04:57:42 pm »
Last night I managed to brew my first imperial stout (1.085) with Lutra Kveik. I used one packet of yeast, and all I did was hydrate it. I figured I should pamper the yeast as possible to see if it worked. If so, I would have a reliable method involving little work. If not, I could always repitch later and learn a lesson.

I started the beer out at 68, more or less. I pitched on my patio and left it outside all night, because the temperature seemed about right. I brought it in the house this morning, and the temperature in here is about 75.

I didn't see any action until this afternoon, which was fine, because I am used to beers going over a day without noticeable activity.

At maybe 2 p.m., I pumped the keg up to 4 psi to see if it held pressure. You never know with O-rings. It seemed to hold fine.

Between 4 and 5, it was blowing like crazy. It was up around 13 psi. I am adjusting it to keep it around 10. I want a little carbonation, and I don't want weird yeast flavors, so I figure this is a good way to go.

So, is this activity about normal for kveik? 

Beersmith thinks I'll hit 1.020.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Imperial Stout with Lutra Kveik
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 06:35:28 pm »
Kveik ferments crazy fast.

A guy in my Club uses kviek for IRS and Barleywines. Quick turn around and drinkable.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 06:51:56 pm »
This stuff showed no activity until this afternoon, and it is now at about 1.027. I can already tell it's going to be great.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 08:27:02 pm »
i only used kveik on two beers but there was something about adding yeast nutrient??? after 48 hours, you might check that.

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 08:00:35 am »
I believe I added 1/4 teaspoon of Fermax, but it's not in my notes. Fermax tastes really bad, so I am cautious with it.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 09:43:34 am »
I've always used Lutra Kveik at closer to 90°+F and it takes off within a matter of hours and finishes in a couple of days.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 08:05:39 pm »
This beer's gravity hasn't moved in days, so I'm chilling it for kegging. I just cheated and drew myself a glass at 66 degrees and probably 10 psi of CO2, using a short EVAbarrier line and a picnic tap with no effort to balance anything.

Unless Lutra does weird things after kegging, which I have not witnessed yet, this must be a good yeast for imperial stout. I can't taste any phenols. I can't taste the yeast at all. I guess it's on the bottom of the keg now. There is some fruitiness to it, but I believe that's just the grain. Every imperial I've had tasted sort of like prune juice mixed with very dark chocolate.

This beer tastes wonderful. Just what I was hoping for. Maybe I could jack the hops up slightly and toss in a little table sugar for more alcohol next time, but wow, I like this. It's like a milkshake, but without the flaws of milk stout, which I find gross.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.