Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial Stout Scale-Up Question Answered  (Read 220 times)

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
Imperial Stout Scale-Up Question Answered
« on: February 02, 2024, 04:07:09 pm »
I wanted an imperial that tasted like my dry stout, so I asked if I should increase every ingredient but water without changing ratios. I got different responses. Denny was on the side of keeping the ratios constant.

I kept the ratios where they were and went up to 1.085. The beer is done fermenting at 1.026, and the balance is perfect. I guess this makes sense, because if it was balanced at 1.05-something, it ought to be balanced at 1.085.

It tastes fantastic. Makes me wonder...are ALL imperial stouts good? Is this simply an easy style to make?

I could see throwing some sugar in to get more alcohol, or possibly dry-hopping, but it's wonderful as it is.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Imperial Stout Scale-Up Question Answered
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 04:52:05 pm »
Now I'm having second thoughts. Beersmith thinks I have an attenuation of 67.9, with a prediction of 75.3. The beer is a little sweet, but so is the weaker stout it's based on.

I deliberately went low on pitching to see what I could get away with. I used one packet of hydrated Lutra, and it went off like crazy.

The beer it's based on came in at 69.4, and I have zero complaints about it after several batches. It does seem to get slightly dryer in the keg, though. I have never measured it after weeks in the serving keg.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.