Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Step Mashing w/BIAB  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Step Mashing w/BIAB
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2024, 08:41:05 am »
"A simple one pot BIAB approach like you've discovered does have the advantage of a quick cleanup however you'll also have to deal with:

Uneven mash bed temperatures
No recirculation
No mash temperature control
No pre-heat (delay timer)
No pump to move the wort
No step mashing
"

I'm not sure where this quote came from.  But my response to this would be:

Uneven mash bed temperatures - That's completely wrong, because it's very easy to recirculate with a spoon and keep the temperature even enough.

No recirculation - Unless recirculation means something other than keeping a uniform temperature, that's definitely not correct.

No mash temperature control - I have perfect mash temperature control on my gas stove.  Extremely easy to keep the mash within +/- .5 degrees of desired temp for as long as I want.  Can't speak for those using electric stoves.

No pre-heat (delay timer) - Very true.  And waiting to hit mash temperature is arguably my least favorite part of BIAB brewing. Since there's nothing to "set up" and so little equipment used, it can be very boring.  I usually have breakfast.

No pump to move the wort - True, and thank heavens.  :D

No step mashing - Yes and no.  I can step mash, maybe, but I don't know the rules.  Does the wort have to move from one step to the next in a certain amount of time to be considered a "step".  I can certainly move the mash temperature with my burner, but I'd have to do it carefully and it *may* take me a bit too long to get from say...144° to 156°...to be effective.  Not sure on that though. Honestly, I've never tried step mashing because I'm not convinced it would make a difference.  Again, not sure on that.

You recirculate with a spoon?  For an entire hour?  You're joking right?

You accurately measure mash bed temperature throughout?  With your twelve temp probes?

Maybe, just maybe, if you stir enough at dough in you have an even mash bed temperature but then you've lost a lot of heat.  Even AIO's with poorly placed temp probes suffer from very uneven mash bed temperatures.

Look at all the hoops the new Brewzilla G4 had to go through to get a semblance of good process control.  Even they had to introduce a mash temp probe and a "heat distribution plate".

AOI's came about because they offered solutions to all of those problems and there's only two maybe three on the market that I'm aware of that have overcome most if not all of the issues in that list.

Single pot BIAB makes beer as do a lot of simplistic processes (cooler batch sparging, etc...) but they don't live up to the process control and ease of use functions of the automated machines.

Is it necessary to circulate for the full hour?  In other words, if I stir with a spoon every 5-10 minutes and the temperature is always within +/- .5 degree of desired mash temperature, is that not good enough?  Do I need to monitor the temperature in my 8 gallon kettle in multiple places?  Will the temperature fluctuate that much throughout the pot?  What happens if I'm 153° at the bottom of the pot and 151° at the top, then I stir and the temp reads 152°?

I ask these questions in all sincerity, no joking, to anyone.

And for the record, I'm not knocking the all-in-ones.  They are obviously fantastic machines.  I just enjoy the BIAB process and if my beer suffers amoral faults because of that, so be it. 

Cheers!

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2024, 08:42:50 am »
"A simple one pot BIAB approach like you've discovered does have the advantage of a quick cleanup however you'll also have to deal with:

No recirculation
No pump to move the wort
No step mashing
"

It appears these statements might be very old stemming from when BIAB brewing was first established. In the beginning it was a single kettle over propane - period. I started that way myself with a converted keg as my kettle.

Today however I do a BIAB style brew, as many other do, on their All-In-One electric systems. These make recirculation, temp control, delay timer start, pumps and step mashing ubiquitous. BUT you could still do them on those older propane systems (except perhaps delay timer start)
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2024, 09:08:02 am »
Everything I said is true, I proved it with a quotation, but now we're seeing doubling down. No idea what's happening here.

Megary, you say more or less what I said. I was trying to understand where he got these conclusions without further annoying the Braumeister fans at the other place, so I came here to see if anyone else had any idea where these ideas came from. I was out of brewing from 2007 until 2023, so I missed out on a lot of new knowledge.

Some people get mad when you point out problems with products they like. It doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't identify with my beer machine or my truck or my motorcycle. I know my Harley is stupid and backward. I admit it, and I like it anyway. Go ahead and call it "Hardly Ableson." I think it's funny. What company needs 1400 cc's to make 64 tiny horsepower?

I think people get especially mad when they've spent a relatively huge sum on something which provides tiny benefits and causes significant problems, because they feel like you're calling them fools. I spent $950 on my machine, so if they got fooled, so did I. I was not trying to make people look stupid.

I'll always, always criticize products publicly. No one will ever intimidate me or shame me. One of the great things about the web is that we now have the ability to criticize products and services in front of the whole world. It helps other people avoid trouble, and it helps companies do better.

I have a house full of horrible half-baked greenie toilets that are so bad, Briggs quit stocking parts. You better believe I criticize them online every chance I get, and I tell people how great Toto toilets are. I don't care if I'm insulting people's favorite cans or putting Briggs out of business. I'm on the side of the consumer. I'm going to end up paying over $1500 to rip these things out, and that's the cost when I install them personally.

The web is full of paid shills now. Someone has to be honest. Braumeisters have all sorts of problems.

They should:

1. Force distributors to stock and list parts on the web. ALL parts.
2. Use generic parts when possible. Don't be like the jerks at John Deere, who want everyone to think no one else can make motor oil.
3. Tell people how to get generic parts. Everyone knows they use generic O-rings.
4. Build their machines to use USB, like everyone else on Earth except Apple, which is being forced to do it now.
5. Build their machines to use ordinary $10 wifi adaptors instead of $400 proprietary adaptors that are never available.
6. Create a phone app and desktop apps so nobody has to join a cult and store private info on someone else's website. The app should allow recipe editing through a keyboard, and storage should be limited only by the consumer's computer's memory.
7. Fix it so data can be ported to apps like Beersmith.
8. Allow firmware fixes via USB drive. They totally botched my machine's firmware, and the official method of fixing it was to take the machine to a nonexistent local vendor who owned the unnecessary proprietary cable.
9. Change the geometry of the mash pipe and screens so holding more grain is normal. I know they're German, but not everyone brews one Helles lager after another. Some people like imperial stout.
10. Charge reasonable prices for retrofit improvements. They fixed the controller and supposedly added some of the things I'm talking about here, but they want about $800 for it.

For another $800, I get better connectivity and a more water-resistant controller. I've never submerged my controller, so no idea what that's all about. Still no USB! How can that be? They added relatively useless things like a timed start and an animated help menu. Honestly, I don't care at all about the few minutes it takes to heat, so how does an automatic start help me?

Still has to use their website.

Does Morebeer stock the new controller? See if you can guess.

The wifi issues with my unit are amazing. I have Inkbird stuff that costs nearly nothing, and it talks to me over wifi. How come I can communicate with and even operate a $30 Inkbird device from anywhere, but I have to walk across the house and use clumsy scrolled inputs to talk to a $3000 machine? If you're going to be Buck Rogers, be Buck Rogers. Don't half-ass it and let a Chinese startup make you look bad. They should have gotten this right a long time ago.

Bottom line: people like me can spend $800 to get a partial solution, they can spend $400 to get a wifi module to get something nearly as good, or they can spend $150, get kettles and bags, and spend 25% as much time cleaning up while producing exactly the same beer. Then they can sell their old Braumeisters for a grand or more and keep $850.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2024, 09:12:18 am »
Maybe, just maybe, if you stir enough at dough in you have an even mash bed temperature but then you've lost a lot of heat.  Even AIO's with poorly placed temp probes suffer from very uneven mash bed temperatures.

Interesting news: the new Braumeister moved its probe, so they must have decided yours didn't work well enough.

I have a Thermapen. I can move it all over the mash. It's not attached to a brewing machine, so I can use it for cooking.

Megary's beer is probably just as good as yours. Something to think about.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2024, 09:16:48 am »
Megary, you say more or less what I said.

Brother, I said a lot less than you.   ;D

My point is certainly not to knock any mfg's all-in-ones.  I was just trying to say I find BIAB mashing pretty darn reliable and extremely easy.  That's all. 

Peace out all.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2024, 12:03:53 pm »
I apologize to everyone else here for attracting angry remarks to this great forum. I didn't have a squabble elsewhere and bring it here to ruin everyone's day. There was no squabble. I don't do that. I'm grateful for forums, and I respect the proprietors' right to good behavior from members like me who pay nothing to use them.

I do disagree with people, politely. Most people handle it well.

Can you quote and link to the forum post where your being told "BIAB wasn't as good because I couldn't do a step mash" and "BIAB provides no mash temperature control".

Tone down the slander.

Try calling MoreBeer instead of just browsing their website.  They should be able to order an o-ring for you.

That is really rude, not to mention the weirdness of chasing me from another website and trying to start a fight and hijack a thread. I was never anything but polite and cordial to you, and I haven't said anything here that was insulting or dishonest. Why ruin the atmosphere of a friendly forum?

On top of all that, what you're implying is not true:

A simple one pot BIAB approach like you've discovered does have the advantage of a quick cleanup however you'll also have to deal with:

No recirculation
No pump to move the wort
No step mashing

"Slander"? Seriously? That would be over the top even if I had lied about something this microscopically unimportant. I make an honest, polite effort to get some useful brewing information, and I get chased down and accused of tortious behavior.

Slander is actually called "defamation" these days, and back when other terms were popular, they called written defamation "libel." "Slander" was almost always reserved for oral defamation. A defamation plaintiff has to show economic damages. Also, truth, or substantial truth, is an absolute defense. A lot of defamation suits die from motions to dismiss because defendants proved they were truthful.

I'm going with the free-shipping generic O-ring I already ordered instead of hassling myself with Morebeer, waiting for them to get a ring from Germany, and paying their shipping charge. Ebay took a couple of minutes. Done.

If I ran Speidel, I'd just tell people what part to buy locally. I don't know about Germany, and I realize they have a different outlook, but in the US, informing customers they can use generic parts is SOP for many companies. Speidel is doing business in Rome, so it should do as the Romans do. Some poor guy paid them a couple grand for this severely-overpriced machine. My guess is that they don't need to dive for every pfennig.

Imagine, expecting a customer to miss a week or more of brewing so your company can make a Euro and a half and protect the amazing trade secret of using a 60mm x 54mm buna O-ring. It's tone-deaf. It's not like I asked KFC to send a list of the 11 herbs and spices. Everyone knows the company that makes Speidel's pumps buys O-rings off the shelf. They have never made an O-ring or developed a special material.

Your statements are exaggerated and do not accurately reflect the intent of the other posts.  Slander in order to drive conversation.  What kind of a person are you?

That's enough of that. First warning.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell