Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Screwed up Water Mineral Additions: Can I add into fermentation?  (Read 664 times)

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
Hey All, longtime brewer, once very sharp on most things brewing, but took a 3 year hiatus. Dove back into it recently, and a little rusty.. In Bru'nwater, I added the amount of minerals shown in the "Water Adjustment" tab (i.e. gram/gal), rather than the "Adjustment Summary" tab. In other words, I only added approximately 1/5 of the amount of Gypsum and Cal Chloride I should've.

Used 100% RO water. Only added .25 grams Gypsum, and .25 grams Cal Chloride. Seemed low at the time, but I was under the gun on time.. pH was adjusted correctly, thank goodness.

Wondering if it's a good idea to boil the rest of the minerals in say a half cup of water, chill, and add to the fermenter (which is probably 75% done)? Or possibly wait til fermentation is done? 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 11:34:27 am by John »
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Screwed up Water Mineral Additions: Can I add into fermentation?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 12:36:07 pm »
Hey All, longtime brewer, once very sharp on most things brewing, but took a 3 year hiatus. Dove back into it recently, and a little rusty.. In Bru'nwater, I added the amount of minerals shown in the "Water Adjustment" tab (i.e. gram/gal), rather than the "Adjustment Summary" tab. In other words, I only added approximately 1/5 of the amount of Gypsum and Cal Chloride I should've.

Used 100% RO water. Only added .25 grams Gypsum, and .25 grams Cal Chloride. Seemed low at the time, but I was under the gun on time.. pH was adjusted correctly, thank goodness.

Wondering if it's a good idea to boil the rest of the minerals in say a half cup of water, chill, and add to the fermenter (which is probably 75% done)? Or possibly wait til fermentation is done?

Given what you forgot, and the fact that they can even be added post fermentation, I think you'd be fine to add them to the fermenter. I don't see any need to boil them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 02:11:54 pm »
Thanks Denny!

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 02:16:39 pm »

Given what you forgot, and the fact that they can even be added post fermentation, I think you'd be fine to add them to the fermenter. I don't see any need to boil them.
I've even added salts in the glass for a taste test with different levels. (It's a little tricky dosing a glass with the tiny amounts.)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 02:26:27 pm »

I've even added salts in the glass for a taste test with different levels. (It's a little tricky dosing a glass with the tiny amounts.)

Same here
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 04:16:46 pm »

I have done this (add CaCl and/or CaS04 in the glass) a couple of times to adjust an extract-based recipe. Rather than adding the salts directly, I created a concentrated solution.  I would a tablespoon (or teaspoon) of the solution, then taste the result.  In the end, the revised recipes came out better (and not over-mineralized).

If there's interest, I can go through my brew day notes and post the process.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 04:20:06 pm by BrewnWKopperKat »

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2023, 05:43:38 pm »
Thanks BrewnWKopperKat. I think based on the consensus of responses, I'm going to add the remainder of the salts at packaging. I am confident in Brun'water, just didn't use it correctly jumping back in the saddle. I really appreciate everyone's kind responses.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 03:18:14 pm »
In the spirit of learning, maybe you'd consider bottling some without the salts to see what the impacts are?  Just a thought.

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2023, 09:52:16 am »
In the spirit of learning, maybe you'd consider bottling some without the salts to see what the impacts are?  Just a thought.
Great idea! Thanks

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2023, 01:30:20 pm »
Definitely no problem with adding those missing salts sometime after the mash, including after fermentation. The only downside I see is that the actual mash pH was probably a few tenths higher than you targeted.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 10:51:04 am »
Definitely no problem with adding those missing salts sometime after the mash, including after fermentation. The only downside I see is that the actual mash pH was probably a few tenths higher than you targeted.
Thanks Martin!