Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale  (Read 23498 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 06:06:01 pm »
i may try this as i love sam smiths beer
what is the ferment temp?

Fermented at 65F and left in primary for 3 weeks.  Kegged and conditioned at 68F for 5 weeks.  I really hope you can get a vial of 037.  I think it makes the beer.  My buddy and I are pretty hard to please and this was truly an WOW beer....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 10:27:11 pm »
i may try this as i love sam smiths beer
what is the ferment temp?

Fermented at 65F and left in primary for 3 weeks.  Kegged and conditioned at 68F for 5 weeks.  I really hope you can get a vial of 037.  I think it makes the beer.  My buddy and I are pretty hard to please and this was truly an WOW beer....

Dave
i see northernbrewer has this in stock

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 05:28:15 am »
Sweet!  I'm going to order another vial.  I'm in love with this yeast.  Please let me know how you like it if you brew it and thanks for the heads up.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Oldpaddy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2023, 02:41:57 pm »
To report back on this, I tapped it yesterday with my buddy.  It was nothing short of amazing!  The combination of the WLP037 and toasted oats gave it a pronounced but not overpowering nutty flavor.  The brown malt provided some toffee, the chocolate some coffee which blended great with the caramel malt.  Here was the final recipe for 10G.  I would highly recommend it, but I think you have to use the 037.....

17# Marris Otter
1# Brown Malt
9 oz crystal 60
9 oz toasted oats (baked 60 mins at 350F)
7 oz chocolate malt
2.5 oz EKG at 60
1 oz Fuggles at 60
1 oz Fuggles at 15
70 minute mash at 156
OG-1.050
FG-1.012
ABV-5.02%

If you brew it, please report back on your thoughts.

Dave

Sorry to drag a decade old post out, but I'm going to brew this recipe and was wondering if anyone has tried it.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2023, 04:52:46 pm »
its been a long while since i've had sam smiths nut brown, but i did drink it on maybe 10 occasions or so.

imho its probably something like 91% base malt (MO or something), then 3% chocolate, 3% brown malt, 3% medium crystal. i always found it pretty thin and while definitely somewhat flavourful not very much so.

maybe im wrong, but my recollection is a thin-bodied beer (like all sam smith stuff [i love some sam smith products!!]) with a light nutty/roasty taste and light-brown clear appearance

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2023, 11:08:19 am »
In my opinion, one of the key flavor components in any Sam Smith beer is the yeast character. WLP037 is supposedly their yeast strain, and my experience the flavor profile is a close match. But it's only a limited release from White Labs. It's kind of unique in that the ester profile has both fruit and oak in fairly balanced amounts (at least to my palate). Most English ale strains lean towards one or the other.

I haven't brewed that recipe as written, but if it were me I'd probably skip the oats. It passes the sniff test to me if you have the right yeast.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2023, 12:14:57 pm »
I used this recipe to fulfill a request from a buddy.  I usedWY1469 West Yorkshire Ale Yeaast but the beer was close enough Smith's for him.

I did it as a5 gallon batch.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Oldpaddy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2023, 04:34:21 pm »
In my opinion, one of the key flavor components in any Sam Smith beer is the yeast character. WLP037 is supposedly their yeast strain, and my experience the flavor profile is a close match. But it's only a limited release from White Labs. It's kind of unique in that the ester profile has both fruit and oak in fairly balanced amounts (at least to my palate). Most English ale strains lean towards one or the other.

I haven't brewed that recipe as written, but if it were me I'd probably skip the oats. It passes the sniff test to me if you have the right yeast.

I hope wlp037 works. I have some and I made AHS' SSNBA clone and I didn't like it with that yeast, but I don't think that kit tasted anything like SSNBA anyway. I did like the kit though. I liked that yeast better with the timothy Taylor's landlord kit AHS had.
Edit: I've never had TT Lanlord before. So I have no idea if wlp037 is good for a clone. I liked the kit AHS had.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 05:16:13 pm by Oldpaddy »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2023, 08:06:20 pm »

I hope wlp037 works. I have some and I made AHS' SSNBA clone and I didn't like it with that yeast, but I don't think that kit tasted anything like SSNBA anyway. I did like the kit though. I liked that yeast better with the timothy Taylor's landlord kit AHS had.
Edit: I've never had TT Lanlord before. So I have no idea if wlp037 is good for a clone. I liked the kit AHS had.
WLP037 is a strange beast. It is even more flocculant than WLP002. It's a Yorkshire Square strain, and it likes a lot of oxygen. My best results with it were with open fermentation. I used a bucket fermenter and put a sanitized paint strainer bag over the top to keep bugs out. If you can't ferment open, I'd suggest extra oxygenation/aeration a couple of times over the first couple of days.

For Landlord the closest strain is WY1469. It is believed to be the TT yeast strain, and it makes a delicious ale. It's one of my all time favorite yeast strains. It doesn't have that dry, oaky character that WLP037 has, but that's fine with me.
Eric B.

Offline Oldpaddy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2023, 04:46:29 am »

WLP037 is a strange beast. It is even more flocculant than WLP002. It's a Yorkshire Square strain, and it likes a lot of oxygen. My best results with it were with open fermentation. I used a bucket fermenter and put a sanitized paint strainer bag over the top to keep bugs out. If you can't ferment open, I'd suggest extra oxygenation/aeration a couple of times over the first couple of days.

For Landlord the closest strain is WY1469. It is believed to be the TT yeast strain, and it makes a delicious ale. It's one of my all time favorite yeast strains. It doesn't have that dry, oaky character that WLP037 has, but that's fine with me.

Like a short burst of canned o2 through the racking arm?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2023, 08:56:50 pm »

Like a short burst of canned o2 through the racking arm?
Yeah. I'd hit it at pitching, and then about 12-18 hours later
Eric B.

Offline Joshua Hughes

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2023, 09:01:27 pm »
I opened and stirred a few time the first few days of fermentation. Not sure if it helped. Only 2 batches with it and the second was the slurry.