Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: thoughts on bringing a yeast sample or commercial yeast packet by plane?  (Read 508 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
i scanned a few other threads out there about this, anyone have any firsthand experience with this?

it seems like the recommended way is to basically get a sample, put it in a beer bottle and say "its beer" (if you need to say anything at all)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: thoughts on bringing a yeast sample or commercial yeast packet by plane?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 05:24:00 am »
It is literally a "yeast sample for analysis".  IF they ask, you're telling the truth.  But they most likely won't ask anyway.

Just remember that you won't be allowed to carry this onto a plane, it will need to be placed in your checked-in luggage that you pick up after landing.  If you try to carry it on the plane, they WILL take it away from you regardless of any explanations.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 05:26:03 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 03:31:13 pm »
thanks, i will see. thoughts about saying that for a sachet of white labs yeast?

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 06:17:58 am »
Below is from the TSA regarding liquid carry-on. Canada may be similar. Note the size restriction is for the container for the liquid, NOT the amount of liquid in the container.

All liquids, gels, and aerosols must be in containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less.
All liquids must fit into a single, clear quart-size bag.
Passengers can only pack one quart-size bag in their carry-on.

Just yesterday, I flew with a 1 L bottle of Bourbon that was purchased duty-free in my checked bag. No issue.

Roger

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 06:32:37 am »
Once I accepted a local brewer's prize at Homebrew Con. It was a bunch of cleaners and sanitizers which I packed in my checked luggage. Unfortunately it was inspected all confiscated. Maybe because it said "acid" in big letters.
Another time I stuffed all my dirty laundry into an empty 3 gallon corny keg and checked it in. They called me back to the check in area to have me open it for inspection. Yup, it's dirty laundry.
Yet another time I checked a plastic bottle that I had poured the last of a bottle of scotch into. They called me back and gave it to me because it was too suspicious. We ended up finishing it before boarding.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995