Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Seeking definitive answer on chocolate malt  (Read 1447 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Seeking definitive answer on chocolate malt
« on: July 23, 2023, 11:24:01 am »
Over the years I’ve read claims chocolate malt imparts a chocolate taste.

Others have stated chocolate malt is the color of chocolate and has nothing do to with the taste/flavor.

Which assertion is correct?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Seeking definitive answer on chocolate malt
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 11:50:29 am »
Both
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 12:32:26 pm »
Yes.

Both are true because different manufacturers’ chocolate malts are made and roasted to different degrees. I personally find light chocolate flavors in the more pale chocolate malts, 300 lovibond and lighter. Darker chocolate malts tend to impart heavier roast flavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 02:38:58 pm »
Yes.

Both are true because different manufacturers’ chocolate malts are made and roasted to different degrees. I personally find light chocolate flavors in the more pale chocolate malts, 300 lovibond and lighter. Darker chocolate malts tend to impart heavier roast flavors.

+1.

I use chocolate malt quite a bit and the only time I get “chocolate” is with the lighter L chocolate malts…200-300L

Crisp Pale Chocolate (220L) is my favorite for this purpose.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 08:16:26 pm »
Every maltsters roast malts are different, you have to try them and decide.

Weyermann calls their Carafa malts chocolate malts. Last fall I had some Schwarzbiers in Liepzig, and those were very Chocolaty. I don't think they were using British malts in Germany.

https://www.weyermann.de/en-us/products-2/brewery-2/

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 04:07:00 pm »
the descriptions like "chocolate" or even "black malt" (implying fully burnt) give your mind impressions before tasting, but chocolate malt from english maltsters gives a particular taste i wouldnt pin to dark chocolate, elements of it for sure but its more just an impression i have in my mind that i know i can get if i use certain amounts of chocolate malt. i like it for sure, but i try to balance out chocolate malt with other roasted malts.

i really enjoy playing with dark malts and you kind of need to just try them.

pale chocolate malt definitely has a place, and it is probably closer to eating chocolate in many ways than chocolate malt, but its much more than that and takes consideration. i enjoyed pale chocolate malt in a sort of mid-darkness coloured brown ale most i think

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 03:14:59 pm »
I do appreciate all the input. Most interesting.

What about "Chocolate wheat"? Does this follow the same SRM as the regular chocolate malt? (lower SRM = chocolate taste, higher SRM = color).

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 08:06:36 am »
Yes.

I have used Castle Chateau Chocolat from Belgium as my chocolate malt for quite a few years.  It is really roasted pretty dark almost 500L.  I really liked the flavor it imparts in the beer.  But to my chagrin, I can't get it anymore probably due to supply chain issues so I think I am going to switch to Thomas Fawcetts Chocolate malt which is a lighter roast (around 200L) or Dingemans Chocolate malt (around 350L)and see how that works in my porters.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified