Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: any reason to use WhirlFloc in dunkelweizen / weizenbock?  (Read 792 times)

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
any reason to use WhirlFloc in dunkelweizen / weizenbock?
« on: June 19, 2023, 11:26:21 am »
I am brewing a dunkelweizen + weizenbock today (split batch), both will be fermented using Lallemand Munich Classic dry yeast; is there any reason to bother with WhirlFloc toward the end of the boil?  I expect both to be hazy/yeasty anyway, so I figured I needn't bother with WF.

But does the WhirlFloc give me any other advantage? 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: any reason to use WhirlFloc in dunkelweizen / weizenbock?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 12:51:26 pm »
I don't see the need to use Whirl Floc in a yeasty wheat beer - they will clear on their own, if left to sit for a while (if bottled, you can swirl them up or roll them on their side for show....)

Best of luck with your weizens!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 12:58:45 pm »
I would for the weizenbock.  Seems like those are generally clear
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 01:27:58 pm »
Thanks guys.  It's my first time trying to make these styles (third time using Munich Classic).  It has been so long since I didn't use WF, it almost feels wrong to leave it out...

I'm not as interested in appearance/clarity, TBH, if I can nail the flavor/aroma I want.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 04:55:05 pm »
Personally I don’t see a need to add clarifiers at all. I am sure someone will have a differing point of view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 07:39:38 am »
Personally I don’t see a need to add clarifiers at all. I am sure someone will have a differing point of view.

I'm curious - Is this because your beers clear without it or because you don't worry about clarity?

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 12:24:09 pm »

I'm curious - Is this because your beers clear without it or because you don't worry about clarity?
For me, I make quite a good amount of beer. Mostly lagers, 15 gallons every 4-5 weeks. I have the space to cold condition 10-13 kegs at a time plus my serving fridge that holds 4 kegs. Given enough time they clear nicely. I used to use whirlfloc in the BK and biotin at kegging and would argue it works great, which it does but came to the conclusion that I was wasting my money.