Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lallemand LoNa - low alcohol/NA yeast  (Read 1155 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Lallemand LoNa - low alcohol/NA yeast
« on: May 24, 2023, 03:55:14 am »
I recently got this announcement in my inbox: https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/lona/

I'm very curious to see how well this one works. Even in the best NA beers I've tried, there is a level of wortiness and/or thin body that has kept me from trying it out for myself. This strain seems to check a lot of boxes that has me intrigued. It is a Sacc strain with a supposed clean ale flavor profile. It doesn't ferment maltose or maltotriose. It's POF-. And it supposedly reduces aldehydes responsible for "worty" flavors.

I haven't got an answer on when/if they plan on releasing this in homebrew-sized packs. This would seem like a great option for homebrewers, given that we generally don't have access to things like membrane filtration or vacuum distillation that the big boys use to produce NA beers. I'm curious to hear some real world results from this.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Lallemand LoNa - low alcohol/NA yeast
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 06:22:06 am »
Very interesting indeed.  Thanks for sharing.

I would love to give this a shot if it was available in standard packs.

Following...

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 07:13:15 am »
Very interesting indeed.  Thanks for sharing.

I would love to give this a shot if it was available in standard packs.

Following...

I’ll second that!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 07:45:50 am »
Doing a little more research, I found this on Lallemand's web-site.

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/product-details/lalbrew-lona/

Pasteurization is required when brewing with LalBrew® LoNa™ to avoid fermentation after packaging and ensure beer stability.

Hmm.  Sounds complicated.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 09:00:31 am »

Pasteurization is required when brewing with LalBrew® LoNa™ to avoid fermentation after packaging and ensure beer stability.

That's true of almost any NA beer AFAIK. Not to mention spoilage,  since without fermentation there's no pH drop. That's why Athletic and others acidity their beers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 11:13:19 am »

That's true of almost any NA beer AFAIK. Not to mention spoilage,  since without fermentation there's no pH drop. That's why Athletic and others acidity their beers.
Yes, they also mention other things in the LoNa spec sheet such as acidifying to a pH of 4.6, and not repitching (because there's not enough yeast biomass growth during fermentation). It also looks like open packs should be stored cold and used within 3 days of opening, so that kills the idea to do a group buy and share of a brick.

Keep in mind that their data sheet is aimed at commercial brewers. If I were brewing with this at home I'd definitely acidify the finished beer, and I'd feel OK with keeping it kegged and cold. I'm not sure how I'd feel about natural carbonation in the bottle with so much residual fermentables left behind.
Eric B.

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 09:52:53 pm »
How would you approach a recipe using this yeast? OG of 1.020?

The best attempt at Low ABV beer I brewed was OG 1.020. 50/50 marris otter/Briess carapils.
Hot mash at 162. Low pitch rate no oxygen WYeast 1968. Heavy dry hop. I did not check or adjust final beer ph. It finished at 1.010 so not NA but it was low enough ABV that it seemed impossible to drink enough to feel anything. Wasn’t too bad and definitely not worty in taste. Thin if anything.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 05:48:23 am »
How would you approach a recipe using this yeast? OG of 1.020?

The best attempt at Low ABV beer I brewed was OG 1.020. 50/50 marris otter/Briess carapils.
Hot mash at 162. Low pitch rate no oxygen WYeast 1968. Heavy dry hop. I did not check or adjust final beer ph. It finished at 1.010 so not NA but it was low enough ABV that it seemed impossible to drink enough to feel anything. Wasn’t too bad and definitely not worty in taste. Thin if anything.
Because of the low attenuation, i think one of the advantages of this yeast is that you might be able to push your OG a bit higher to get a bit more malt flavor without increasing ABV. My main concern with that is that if the yeast doesn't ferment maltose then you may end up with a sweet beer. I'd probably mash way at the upper end of alpha amylase's temp range (like 168-170ish), so that you get minimal beta amylase activity and end up with mostly dextrins rather than maltose. The experimentation will be to find the sweet spot (or maybe not-sweet spot in this case :) ) of mash temp, OG and FG where your beer isn't too sweet or thick, but with a good malt character.
Eric B.