Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can a beer be too bitter or too hoppy?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Can a beer be too bitter or too hoppy?
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2024, 01:14:16 am »

The rest of it I have no idea about. I've never made hop tea.
Well, we're gonna do so and I will report what obtains. I hope I get a zero-sediment product that knocks my socks off. I'm thinking about 500 cc of water good enough for brewing. I'll throw the whole half-liter into the priming bucket to get all that hoppy deliciousness. Nothing wasted, and I'll get another bottle out of it.

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2024, 02:46:33 pm »
If they hold in even one particle of the Hops that's better than the muslin bags we can buy today. They are positively worthless.
The tea bags arrived today. I immediately filtered some iced tea that had been setting for several days following a July 4 food drive effort. There was visible puffy sediment on the bottom of the transparent plastic bottle. The bags I ordered filtered-out all that sediment and left behind a beautifully-clear tea. The more tea I filtered, the slower became the process. These things really catch even the tiniest sedimentary particles. It's my opinion that pelletized hops would NOT get through these bags. Too bad for y'alls that I do not know how to post a picture. If I could, you'd see for yourself the filtering power of these bags. Now that I know how fabulously these bags filter, I'm tempted to make a hop tea and drink it just to taste how powerful would be the flavor of one ounce of pellets in a liter of charcoal-filtered tap water.

Offline Skeeter686

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2024, 03:12:18 pm »
Now that I know how fabulously these bags filter, I'm tempted to make a hop tea and drink it just to taste how powerful would be the flavor of one ounce of pellets in a liter of charcoal-filtered tap water.
Are you planning to make the tea using water hot enough to isomerize the alpha acids?  If so, wouldn't you want to use a hopping rate that matches what you'd do in your beer? 

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2024, 06:24:26 pm »
Are you planning to make the tea using water hot enough to isomerize the alpha acids?  If so, wouldn't you want to use a hopping rate that matches what you'd do in your beer?
I'm thinking I'd just simmer the hops for maybe fifteen to twenty minutes to sterilize, cool it a bit, then throw the tea into the primed and ready-to-bottle beer, stir it in well and bottle it...

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2024, 10:12:11 pm »
If they hold in even one particle of the Hops that's better than the muslin bags we can buy today. They are positively worthless.
... ... There was visible puffy sediment on the bottom of the transparent plastic bottle. The bags I ordered filtered-out all that sediment and left behind a beautifully-clear tea.  ... ... These things really catch even the tiniest sedimentary particles. It's my opinion that pelletized hops would NOT get through these bags...

That post was made while the tea sludge was still wet. It's entirely dried, now. Upon inspection I see that ZERO of the puffy, fluffy tea sediment made it through the tea bags. It's my opinion that these bags will make for the perfect dry-hopping bag or for the perfect bag in which to make a hop tea. So go ahead and order a hundred. They're the top ones of the two for which I gave the web addresses on the previous page. I am beyond happy to have helped anyone who has wanted to do with his beer what I will do with mine, regarding these bags...