Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: LME for a Barleywine  (Read 1395 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: LME for a Barleywine
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2023, 01:51:31 pm »
I'm curious on what yeast you are using for a 14% barleywine.

My go to ale yeast, S0-4. It will easily hit 11%. Might augment this with some champagne or wine yeast to get us over the top.

No champagne or wine yeast...I have not had good results doing that.  Your results may be different.  Just make a good wort and pitch a lot of yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2023, 03:25:45 pm »

My go to ale yeast, S0-4. It will easily hit 11%. Might augment this with some champagne or wine yeast to get us over the top.

No champagne or wine yeast...I have not had good results doing that.  Your results may be different.  Just make a good wort and pitch a lot of yeast.
Agreed. You will be surprised how high most ale yeasts can go when given a healthy pitch.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2023, 02:30:16 pm »

Agreed. You will be surprised how high most ale yeasts can go when given a healthy pitch.

Another brewer suggested Nottingham yeast. Ordered a bunch of it, will give it a try.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2023, 02:50:09 pm »

Another brewer suggested Nottingham yeast. Ordered a bunch of it, will give it a try.

yeah, was going to say. i was going to make a large for the sake of large stout and it was going to be 3 packs of nottingham.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2023, 08:43:37 am »
I'd go with light or pilsner DME if you're using extract, since those tend to be the most fermentable. A barleywine is already going to tend to have a high FG, so you don't want to compound the issue with a less fermentable extract.
I'm doing an ipa on Sunday and plan to boost it up from an APA with some dme.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2023, 10:16:49 am »

IIRC wine and champagne yeasts don't do well fermenting maltose and maltotriose. They work on simple sugars. Priming a high abv beer with simple sugar? Champagne yeast will work for that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2023, 12:24:11 pm »

IIRC wine and champagne yeasts don't do well fermenting maltose and maltotriose. They work on simple sugars. Priming a high abv beer with simple sugar? Champagne yeast will work for that.

That's what I recall,  too, and my experience seems to bear that out
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2023, 08:20:34 am »

That's what I recall,  too, and my experience seems to bear that out

That's def the textbook answer: Champagne yeast has been bred for eating the simple sugars in grapes ... not so good at the complex sugars that would be left late in a fermentation.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.