Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: very little or no carbonation, botteling  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
very little or no carbonation, botteling
« on: April 26, 2023, 04:40:57 pm »
made a stout, OG was 1.100 and final was .070. dissolved 2/3 cup corn Sugar in 16 Oz of water, Boiled let cool. Added to my fermentation bucket and made sure it was thoroughly mixed. Did that on April 5th and Im still not getting much (very very little) carbonation. WHAT or WHERE did I go wrong.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: very little or no carbonation, botteling
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 05:34:51 pm »
What temp did you store the beer?  If cold, move to a warmer place.

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 07:51:37 pm »
Thanks for the thought, it was inside the home so it was NOT 70*F or higher. (especially in the Chicagoland area) it just been sooooooo long I was expecting a lot more. I do keg just easier to share in bottles. Probably gunna open them all and crank up the Co2 for a day or two

Offline Rudy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 06:47:57 am »
Your yeast might be tired.  When I bottle a big beer i use some Lallemand CBC-1 bottling yeast.  That being said, give it some time, lots of time.

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 07:10:56 am »
made a stout, OG was 1.100 and final was .070. dissolved 2/3 cup corn Sugar in 16 Oz of water, Boiled let cool. Added to my fermentation bucket and made sure it was thoroughly mixed. Did that on April 5th and Im still not getting much (very very little) carbonation. WHAT or WHERE did I go wrong.

I'm more interested in how this is even possible?

The yeast didn't ferment the wort, not sure it's capable of providing any carbonation.

What yeast did you use to ferment the Stout?  What was your pitch temp?

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 07:25:19 am »
STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

Good point Megary! the starting OG gravity is 1.100 and the final was 0.030 with a difference of .070, making this fermented and am ABV 9.2% sorry for the mess up on numbers It was a dry yeast (first time dry) came with the kit. made a starter and pitched at 80*F

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 08:55:16 am »
STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

Good point Megary! the starting OG gravity is 1.100 and the final was 0.030 with a difference of .070, making this fermented and am ABV 9.2% sorry for the mess up on numbers It was a dry yeast (first time dry) came with the kit. made a starter and pitched at 80*F

Maybe weak yeast due to the starter
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 10:22:46 pm »
Denny:

Do you think I should give it more time at a higher temp. Or Scrap the whole bottle condition an throw it all into a keg and turn up the PSI for a day or two? Whats every body's thoughts, Had one today there was some carbonation but I would have expected a little id not a lot more . ANY and EVRY one please advise kind Regard  Boz

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 05:18:07 am »
Some yeast strains cannot handle the high alcohol level, it makes them very sluggish.  Bottle carbonation of high ABV beers is not as predictable as lower ABV beers.  What yeast strain did you use??
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2023, 06:45:51 am »
DMTalyou:

It was a kit and included with that. It was a dry yeast. (Any body thoughts on DRY yeast for a BIG ABV beer?) it came with the kit, so I really didnt take not. Im going to put them in the warmest room in the house and after a week to 10 days Ill just Kegg it. Thanks and Kind Regards

Fire Rooster

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2023, 06:54:48 am »
DMTalyou:

It was a kit

If I may ask, which kit was it ?, and what bottles did you use ?

Cheers

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2023, 08:37:57 am »
Denny:

Do you think I should give it more time at a higher temp. Or Scrap the whole bottle condition an throw it all into a keg and turn up the PSI for a day or two? Whats every body's thoughts, Had one today there was some carbonation but I would have expected a little id not a lot more . ANY and EVRY one please advise kind Regard  Boz

Yeah, I'd give it more time at warmer temps before trying anything more extreme
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2023, 08:19:16 am »
The kit was Dragon's Silk from NB. Most of the bottle's were 12oz, glass and a few 16 oz glass both dark brown in color. I am giving them more time before opening and kegging

Fire Rooster

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2023, 09:34:18 am »
The kit was Dragon's Silk from NB. Most of the bottle's were 12oz, glass and a few 16 oz glass both dark brown in color. I am giving them more time before opening and kegging

All grain or extract ? There are 3 yeast options, did you use US-05 ?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2785/6868/t/3/assets/DragonsSilk-1526680194582.pdf?6488571249124439760

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2785/6868/t/3/assets/AG-DragonsSilk-1526680037376.pdf?16953028382451663222

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 11:19:03 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Jefferson Coastal

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2023, 08:31:12 pm »
Another tactic you can do is to gently rouse the bottles.  Meaning slowly/gently turn them each upside down a couple times.  then let them warm up some