Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Has anyone delayed ading yeast overnight to let trub settlle out/collect?  (Read 650 times)

Offline Pspengler

• 1st Kit
Hi Everyone -

Has anyopne tried this technique of leting your wort settle after brew day, say overnight (or maybe just a few hours), THEN collecting the trub?  What I usualy do is collect excess trub after two days or so of primary fermentation, but things are so active in there that more of it is sus[ended than I believe I might pull off by letting it settle overnight.  Of course we need to ensure things are nice and santized.  Thank you!

Offline Pspengler

• 1st Kit
Denny if you answer its your Bourbon Barrel Blackberry Bhut Jolokia Barleywine recipe.  I made it once before and OMG is it good!  This one I plan to cellar for a good long time.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Denny if you answer its your Bourbon Barrel Blackberry Bhut Jolokia Barleywine recipe.  I made it once before and OMG is it good!  This one I plan to cellar for a good long time.

April Fools, right? I've let trub settle overnight before. It made no difference and I decided there was no reason for me to do it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
It makes a huge difference to let the trub settle if you repitch your yeast a few generations.
If you don't repitch, it's probably the same.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
It makes a huge difference to let the trub settle if you repitch your yeast a few generations.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes (A. Conan Doyle)

I do and it didn't for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!

Different model perhaps.
If you want to pitch a similar volume of yeast each time, trub will interfere with your yeast volume estimate.
If you are repitching the whole cake, then trub won't matter.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)

I think the idea of carrying over trub (that reduces the concentration of yeast in the slurry) to be of nominal (and likely immeasurable at the home brew level) effect.  I have gone out 25 generations of repitching without worries or effect.  The adequacy of the yeast pitched is the real issue, not the amount of trub that might be in the slurry.  This is not science based and cell counts could prove me wrong, but anecdotally, I have not encountered problems with repitching without trub removal.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"