Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BrewCon question  (Read 2729 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: BrewCon question
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2023, 01:03:41 pm »
I spent 15 years on the Governing Committee trying to solve these issues. None of the ideas offered are bad. ButbI haven't seen one that hasn't been looked at and rejected for one reason or another.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
BrewCon question
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2023, 03:10:10 pm »
I spent 15 years on the Governing Committee trying to solve these issues. None of the ideas offered are bad. ButbI haven't seen one that hasn't been looked at and rejected for one reason or another.
The organization can stand firmly on your shoulders. However, 15 yrs ago I don’t think online meeting platforms existed. The question was raised during your tenure but there wasn’t a good answer.  As you know, it’s the same as in brewing: the science advances. For example many are taking advantage of Thiols now that were unheard of far less than 15 yrs ago. Hell, I never heard of them until last year. Likewise, online meeting platforms have developed to a level that the technology can finally be able to answer now the question you asked back then. Take advantage of it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 03:12:42 pm by BrewBama »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2023, 06:24:00 pm »
Just a thought.  Why the registration fee?  Why not just have an entry fee for those who want to look around the general vendor area, and then add ons for those who want to do the classes or other stuff?  In other words, say a 30 dollar entry fee each day to get into the vendor area, then, as I have seen on the website, 50 bucks per class.  I actually would enjoy the beginner brewing class and maybe even the intermediate.  If anybody wants to do the add on for the VIP, which again looked fun, then add on for that as well.  If somebody wants to buy the whole package, cool, keep that as an option a well.  But have something scaled down for the folks like me who either don't have an interest in, or don't have the cash to justify the whole package.
 Then, at least for me, I am not paying 300 bucks for stuff that does not really interest me and then 50 for this, 50 for that and another 90 for this.  For instance, the Good Guys does 3 or 4 Car shows in my area.  They charge I think it is 30 or 40 bucks to get into the car show.  I think there is an add on fee for those who want to look at the cars and trucks for sale, and another add on for guest speakers I think.  Even if I just pay for just Saturday at the BrewCon, 130 gets me in the Vendor area, an awards ceremony that I could care less about, and some knockout party, that again does not interest me.  So, breaking it down, 130 to get in the door, 100 dollars in classes, and another 90 for the VIP.  That puts me at about 300 bucks.  Again, that with hotel and gas from San Francisco to San Diego has priced me out of it.  But, 30 bucks to get in, 100 bucks for the classes and 90 for the VIP I am only in it for about 200 bucks.  That I can justify as a nice weekend with the wife.  And hopefully a nice weekend meeting some of you folks that have been so helpful to me in my quest. 

Please take this for what it is worth.  I am not complaining and certainly not trying to get nothing for nothing.  But, I think you guys have priced the "newbie" and the budget conscious out of the party when,  in my mind, you don't have to.   

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2023, 07:47:22 pm »
A long time ago there did used to be effectively a day pass for Club Night day, which really is one of the highlights of the whole shindig. That went away probably 15 years ago or so?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2023, 09:24:24 am »
The organization can stand firmly on your shoulders. However, 15 yrs ago I don’t think online meeting platforms existed. The question was raised during your tenure but there wasn’t a good answer.  As you know, it’s the same as in brewing: the science advances. For example many are taking advantage of Thiols now that were unheard of far less than 15 yrs ago. Hell, I never heard of them until last year. Likewise, online meeting platforms have developed to a level that the technology can finally be able to answer now the question you asked back then. Take advantage of it.

No, but they did 5 years ago. Not all of the effort was that far in the past, but the basic issue was there.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2023, 09:25:42 am »
Just a thought.  Why the registration fee?  Why not just have an entry fee for those who want to look around the general vendor area, and then add ons for those who want to do the classes or other stuff?  In other words, say a 30 dollar entry fee each day to get into the vendor area, then, as I have seen on the website, 50 bucks per class.  I actually would enjoy the beginner brewing class and maybe even the intermediate.  If anybody wants to do the add on for the VIP, which again looked fun, then add on for that as well.  If somebody wants to buy the whole package, cool, keep that as an option a well.  But have something scaled down for the folks like me who either don't have an interest in, or don't have the cash to justify the whole package.
 Then, at least for me, I am not paying 300 bucks for stuff that does not really interest me and then 50 for this, 50 for that and another 90 for this.  For instance, the Good Guys does 3 or 4 Car shows in my area.  They charge I think it is 30 or 40 bucks to get into the car show.  I think there is an add on fee for those who want to look at the cars and trucks for sale, and another add on for guest speakers I think.  Even if I just pay for just Saturday at the BrewCon, 130 gets me in the Vendor area, an awards ceremony that I could care less about, and some knockout party, that again does not interest me.  So, breaking it down, 130 to get in the door, 100 dollars in classes, and another 90 for the VIP.  That puts me at about 300 bucks.  Again, that with hotel and gas from San Francisco to San Diego has priced me out of it.  But, 30 bucks to get in, 100 bucks for the classes and 90 for the VIP I am only in it for about 200 bucks.  That I can justify as a nice weekend with the wife.  And hopefully a nice weekend meeting some of you folks that have been so helpful to me in my quest. 

Please take this for what it is worth.  I am not complaining and certainly not trying to get nothing for nothing.  But, I think you guys have priced the "newbie" and the budget conscious out of the party when,  in my mind, you don't have to.   

Because the conference is massively expensive to put on.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2023, 10:44:20 am »

OK, got it.  I understand the cost is there, but I am sure all the vendors are paying to show their wares for the weekend, and equally sure that the food and drink folks are also paying their way in, so I am not sure how eliminating, or at least having an option to not pay the registration fee and just pay to play so to speak would leave the association with a loss.  But, I will bow out then and just be disappointed that I cannot go.  Too bad, it looked like a fun weekend.  Maybe at some point the powers that be will figure out how to do it so us little guys can go as well.  Either way, I will just say have fun, and end this. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2023, 12:06:52 pm »

OK, got it.  I understand the cost is there, but I am sure all the vendors are paying to show their wares for the weekend, and equally sure that the food and drink folks are also paying their way in, so I am not sure how eliminating, or at least having an option to not pay the registration fee and just pay to play so to speak would leave the association with a loss.  But, I will bow out then and just be disappointed that I cannot go.  Too bad, it looked like a fun weekend.  Maybe at some point the powers that be will figure out how to do it so us little guys can go as well.  Either way, I will just say have fun, and end this.

Those things are simply part of the income.  They don't cover all of the expenses by any means.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2023, 12:14:50 pm »
I can’t imagine the costs of the convention centers alone for 3 days.  I must say that I went to 3 and all were quite good (Grand Rapids, Minneapolis, and Baltimore).  Fun times with geeking out on all aspects homebrew.  I hope to attend again - Nashville got cancelled in 2020, if I recall correctly.  I had that one planned for both my wife and me and my adult son…what a bummer that COVID hit - we went fishing in the Wisconsin north woods instead….
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2023, 01:38:29 pm »
I think the paid webinar option is good. Not all the webinars are going to interest people.  A year or two ago Yakima chief or YVH came out with hop sampling kit, and there are already the beer flaw kits. You could offer a beer flaw webinar, a hop flavor/aroma webinar, etc and have an expert walking you through the process. I'm not sure what the right price for this would be, but those kits are usually ~$100 and work better to split as a club anyway.

My club was excited about Nashville also, being close enough to drive makes a big difference when you're a few hours away from one of the big airports.