Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ‘No Sparge’ technique  (Read 1052 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: ‘No Sparge’ technique
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2023, 08:49:05 am »
Forgot to mention, I know a guy who loves English Milds and he intentionally mashes around 158F.  I have just mashed a Licht Pilsner at 157 to see how the body turns out.  Brewers Friend has it turning out around 3.6% based on my simple grain bill - 7 lbs Best Pils, .5 lb Weyermann Light Munich, and .25 lb Weyermann Acidulated malt.  I have been messing with a lot of variables and am hoping this one hits the sweet spot.  If not, I will try some flaked barley substitution for some base malt.

Cheers to the small guys!

When I was developing my American mild, I used mash temps of 158F or sometimes a bit higher
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2023, 03:38:28 pm »
Forgot to mention, I know a guy who loves English Milds and he intentionally mashes around 158F.  I have just mashed a Licht Pilsner at 157 to see how the body turns out.  Brewers Friend has it turning out around 3.6% based on my simple grain bill - 7 lbs Best Pils, .5 lb Weyermann Light Munich, and .25 lb Weyermann Acidulated malt.  I have been messing with a lot of variables and am hoping this one hits the sweet spot.  If not, I will try some flaked barley substitution for some base malt.

I've mashed as high as 162 for small beers and never really noticed an increased body. I get a much bigger impact by lowering my carbonation levels.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2023, 05:19:55 pm »
I realize this is a bit of a tangent from the intention of the OP, but…

For those that BIAB and sparge to hit volume:
Do you get better conversion by sparging the grains to hit volume as opposed to just mashing in at full volume?

I ask because I always get better efficiency with a higher water:grist ratio and it seems to me that while sparging may rinse some sugars, I can’t wrap my head around why I wouldn’t get that rinse by just mashing with more water to begin with.  (Anecdotally, the bigger the beer, the worse the conversion efficiency.  I think this is partly the reason for the advice to “adjust your efficiency down when brewing that Barleywine!”).

And while I’m diving in, does an ideal water:grist ratio for BIAB exist?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2023, 05:41:35 pm »

Do you get better conversion by sparging the grains to hit volume as opposed to just mashing in at full volume?

I ask because I always get better efficiency with a higher water:grist ratio and it seems to me that while sparging may rinse some sugars, I can’t wrap my head around why I wouldn’t get that rinse by just mashing with more water to begin with.  (Anecdotally, the bigger the beer, the worse the conversion efficiency.  I think this is partly the reason for the advice to “adjust your efficiency down when brewing that Barleywine!”).

I am only sparging with 1/2 gallon of water, so the water:grist ratio in the mash is not really much different than a full volume mash. I noticed once  that after I pulled the bag and drained it as usual, that when I sparged with tap water to get the volume I wanted the resulting wort was still pretty dark. That told me that there was still quite a bit of sugar in the grains that I hadn't gotten out.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
‘No Sparge’ technique
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2023, 06:39:33 pm »

I was hoping you’d post your grain bill. My next Mild is scheduled for a 156°F mash and a dash of oat malt. That could easily be increased 2°. I too hope this hits a sweet spot.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 06:56:35 am by BrewBama »

Offline DBhomebrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2023, 10:34:49 am »

It's the lauter efficiency that takes the hit. Given a constant pre-boil volume, a higher OG requires more malt. More malt soaks up more water. A higher percentage of the total water volume is lost to grain absorption. Hence, a lower lauter efficiency.

My 4% beers get ~90% mash efficiency. ~75% for the big 10% beers. Conversion for all is 98-100%.