Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 443400 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4410 on: June 01, 2024, 09:28:46 am »
I have Omega 113 (Mexican Lager) up and running and today I will run a Dark Mexican Lager off into the keg and harvest the yeast and tomorrow I plan to brew a .. drumroll .. Munich Helles!  :O  Probably not advised to make a helles with a Mexican Lager strain but brew it I will.  80% Avangard Pils, 20% Swaen Munich 2 (8°L), about 20 IBUs of Perle and Omega 113.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4411 on: June 01, 2024, 10:51:00 am »
Sounds like a good weekend!
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4412 on: June 01, 2024, 11:50:48 am »
I am planning on a late afternoon/evening brew session today. I want to get another carboy filled for my sour blending program. This one is a turbid mashed 60% pils/40% unmalted wheat lambic-style beer. I pitch WY3278 in these and aged hops in the boil. I have oak cubes that have been hanging around on brandy for a few years and I'll add that to the carboy and let it all do its thing for eighteen months or so. It will then become a continuous single vessel blend as I refill it with the same wort as I pull beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4413 on: June 09, 2024, 04:26:12 pm »
Today, in honor of my Phillies playing the Mutts in London this weekend, I brewed a right proper English best bitter.

10 gallons, OG 1.048

16 lbs. Fawcett Golden Promise
1 lb. Baird Carastan

Mash-in at 152°F in 6 gallons of water with 2 tsp CaCl for 120 minutes at 152°F. Add 8 gallons of 165°F water to collect 12 gallons to boil. Boil for 80 minutes.

2.5 oz Fuggles 60 min
2.5 oz. UK Goldings 30 min
2 lbs. invert no. 2 30 min
2.5 oz. Styrian Goldings 10 min

Split between 2 fermentors. Pitched 1 smack pack of WY1318 London Ale III into one, a smack pack of WY1469 West Yorkshire AND a smack pack of WY1450 Denny into the other, because the 1469 failed to swell, I am leaving Tuesday morning for a 3 day business trip, and I didn't want to take any chance of coming home Thursday night and not seeing any activity. At $10.99 a pop for smack packs, it makes it rather expensive, but better that than a dumperbrau. Besides, the English used to brew with multiple strains before the advent of microscopes, and a 1469/1450 bitter sounds intriguing. It will be interesting to see if any of the WY1469 stone fruit ester character that I love will come through. 
2.5 oz.

Offline joeinma

• Cellarman
« Reply #4414 on: June 14, 2024, 09:15:30 am »
Away this weekend, but on the Juneteenth Federal holiday next week, will be rebrewing a Czech Amber for NHC finals.    Had two beers advance to finals and had assumed that the other beer had best chance of advancing and saved bottles of that one and not any of the Czech Amber that I sent to the first round.  Go figure!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4415 on: June 14, 2024, 03:51:32 pm »
Today, in honor of my Phillies playing the Mutts in London this weekend, I brewed a right proper English best bitter.

10 gallons, OG 1.048

16 lbs. Fawcett Golden Promise
1 lb. Baird Carastan

Mash-in at 152°F in 6 gallons of water with 2 tsp CaCl for 120 minutes at 152°F. Add 8 gallons of 165°F water to collect 12 gallons to boil. Boil for 80 minutes.

2.5 oz Fuggles 60 min
2.5 oz. UK Goldings 30 min
2 lbs. invert no. 2 30 min
2.5 oz. Styrian Goldings 10 min

Split between 2 fermentors. Pitched 1 smack pack of WY1318 London Ale III into one, a smack pack of WY1469 West Yorkshire AND a smack pack of WY1450 Denny into the other, because the 1469 failed to swell, I am leaving Tuesday morning for a 3 day business trip, and I didn't want to take any chance of coming home Thursday night and not seeing any activity. At $10.99 a pop for smack packs, it makes it rather expensive, but better that than a dumperbrau. Besides, the English used to brew with multiple strains before the advent of microscopes, and a 1469/1450 bitter sounds intriguing. It will be interesting to see if any of the WY1469 stone fruit ester character that I love will come through. 
2.5 oz.

b-b-but wheres the 2.5% chocolate malt and 10% crystal???

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4416 on: June 19, 2024, 08:30:53 pm »
You are a funny man, fredthecat

Today I brewed a Czech dark lager

10 gallons, OG 1.056

8 lbs Viking pils
4 lbs Vilking munich
2 lbs Viking vienna
2 lbs Weyermann caramunich III

Mash at 158°F for 60 min. Add to the batch sparge:

1 lb Weyermann Carafa III

Boiled for 90 min

3 oz Saaz FWH
1.5 Kazbek 60 min
2 oz Saaz 10 min

Transferred onto Diamond lager yeast cakes as I racked Czech pilsners.

Summer brewing is slightly behind schedule due to weather, but I am catching up.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4417 on: June 23, 2024, 08:52:30 am »
I'm making a kölsch today...my usual 5 gallon recipe, with 95% pilsner and 5% Munich I malts, bittered with Edelweiss hop blend additions of 1 oz at 45 minutes and 1 oz at 5 minutes, to hit 1.046 o.g. and 24 IBU. I have a big stash of Lallemand's Köln (RIP), and want to enjoy it while I still have it on-hand!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline CounterPressure

• Brewer
« Reply #4418 on: June 23, 2024, 03:49:07 pm »
I'm making a kölsch today...my usual 5 gallon recipe, with 95% pilsner and 5% Munich I malts, bittered with Edelweiss hop blend additions of 1 oz at 45 minutes and 1 oz at 5 minutes, to hit 1.046 o.g. and 24 IBU. I have a big stash of Lallemand's Köln (RIP), and want to enjoy it while I still have it on-hand!
Cool!
My favorite on-hand Brew is a Kölsch, but mine is slightly different, I use pale malt and Vienna. I'm out currently but it's one of the next Brews.

Today I made a marzen for the first time. I have not pitched the yeast yet, Wy 2124.

It's funny you mentioned the Köln from Lalemand. While Under the Influence I put that into my Citra Pale Ale many months ago when I was using harvested yeast and didn't look closely at the label. And I currently have another batch of Citra pale ale with the same yeast again because I did it not once, but twice. It's still an excellent beer, but it has a definite belgiany estery flavor that's not supposed to be in a pale ale. I got many compliments on it today from friends who stopped in and drank it. Lol

Yes, RIP. When I went to order more, I was notified of its untimely demise. I'm going to continue repitching it as many times as I can. It certainly hasn't lost any of its character in the beers I've used it in.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 03:50:45 pm by CounterPressure »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4419 on: June 24, 2024, 07:15:02 am »
Cool!
My favorite on-hand Brew is a Kölsch, but mine is slightly different, I use pale malt and Vienna. I'm out currently but it's one of the next Brews.

Today I made a marzen for the first time. I have not pitched the yeast yet, Wy 2124.

It's funny you mentioned the Köln from Lalemand. While Under the Influence I put that into my Citra Pale Ale many months ago when I was using harvested yeast and didn't look closely at the label. And I currently have another batch of Citra pale ale with the same yeast again because I did it not once, but twice. It's still an excellent beer, but it has a definite belgiany estery flavor that's not supposed to be in a pale ale. I got many compliments on it today from friends who stopped in and drank it. Lol

Yes, RIP. When I went to order more, I was notified of its untimely demise. I'm going to continue repitching it as many times as I can. It certainly hasn't lost any of its character in the beers I've used it in.

I tapped my Kolsch about 4 days ago.  It is a great summer beer!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4420 on: June 24, 2024, 07:02:54 pm »
Cool!

I tapped my Kolsch about 4 days ago.  It is a great summer beer!
I too tapped my Kolsch about 4-5 days ago. I love the style for this warm weather!
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #4421 on: June 30, 2024, 02:48:58 pm »
Just finished up my Trappist Single. Put it in my fermentation keg and will pitch the yeast later tonight
Ralph R.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4422 on: July 05, 2024, 05:27:48 pm »
The wife is off in Walla Walla for a five day holiday weekend of wine tasting with her gal pals, so I took advantage of her absence and brewed today.

As discussed in a recent thread, I made a split batch of dark ruby mild (nod to Sarah Hughes) and spruce beer.

10 gallons, OG 1.060

23.5 lbs. Fawcett Golden Promise
3.5 lbs. Briess 120°L crystal

Mash for 75 min at 156°F. Batch sparge to collect 12 gallons of pre-boil wort. Boil for 90 min.

2 oz. Challenger 90 min
2 oz. Fuggles 30 min

At this point, drain 2 gallons of wort to a smaller kettle and boil for 10 minutes with 1 lb. of Colorado blue spruce tips. The remainder of the wort:

2 oz. UK Goldings 20 min

Chill, draw off 5 gallons of wort, oxygenate, then add 1318 yeast slurry.  Add remaining 2 gallons of spruce wort back to the kettle, run the chiller for 15 minutes, then draw off spruce beer wort into another bucket, oxygenate, and add 1469/1450 yeast slurry.

Going outside of my comfort zone, as I have never used this much crystal malt. Ever since I migrated into 10 gallon batches 12 years ago, I generally have stuck with tweaking tried and true beers I love recipes.

FWIW, spruce tips in boiling wort smell incredible. ;D