Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whole Bean or Coarse Ground?  (Read 700 times)

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
Whole Bean or Coarse Ground?
« on: January 12, 2024, 04:59:02 pm »
Hey Guys, looking to add coffee to my stout, post-fermentation. For those who do this, do you prefer adding whole beans or a coarse grind? And how much? I'm looking for a very coffee forward beer. I know some use cold brew, but that's not what my heart is set on this go-round. Cacao nibs have already been added. Shooting for a finished product similar to Founder's Breakfast Stout (hopefully better!).
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Online KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Whole Bean or Coarse Ground?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 06:18:29 am »
The best luck I’v had was using whole beans in the boil.  Not sure how much coffee flavor you will get at post fermentation temperature.  However, if used in the boil, you can easily taste your way to the flavor you’re looking for.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 09:09:12 am »
Barely cracked, 5 oz in fermenter
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 02:36:19 pm »
Add at 0.4 oz/gal. You can crack or keep whole. Not super important but the more you grind beans, the faster you will extract flavor. A coarse ground I would test 12 hours out planning to rack off 12-24 hours out. Whole I would test around 24 hours planning on racking out 24-48 hours.

You can always go longer or make a second coffee addition. You can't remove flavor if you go too much/too long. If you let the coffee sit too long you'll start to extract tannins and flavors you might not want out of the beans.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 09:02:30 am »
Barely cracked, 5 oz in fermenter
Denny, this is exactly what I did! Added it 2 days before kegging, and the flavor and aroma were incredible when I kegged it.  :)
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 09:20:54 am »
I always use whole beans in the fermenter after you reach terminal gravity.  You will get all of the coffee flavor and minimize the amount of caffeine extracted from the beans.  Usually two ounces of whole beans in 5 gals of beer for 3-4 days at room temperature is sufficient.  But give the beer a taste after about 3 days to see if you need to go longer before packaging.  You can then decide if you need to add a bit more more coffee beans or let it sit longer.  The alcohol in the beer will kill any bacteria on the outside of the beans.  I have been doing this in my coffee porter for years now  and it works very well.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 05:18:23 pm »
I use ~1 oz freeze dried Columbian in a little water to make a strong brew.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 02:29:06 pm »
I use super coarsely cracked beans. I don’t like dark roasted because of the oils. I use 4oz/5g 3 days before packaging.
Jeff B