Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing Hops  (Read 2128 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Growing Hops
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2022, 05:44:43 pm »
Someone says growing hops is easy. Yes of course it is because hop plants are pretty invasive.The bines underground will spread unless you take strong measures to contain them. Once you get them established they are going to spread and grow whether you want them to or not. So be sure you are committed before you start.
Hops grow like weeds, yes they spread. Getting good qualty and yield can be difficult in some places.

I put up the twine  every year and train them so we get shade and some privacy around our deck. I no longer use those hops for beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2022, 08:25:41 pm »
All great info, thanks guys.  My wife is all in, so I am going to go with it.  LOL

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2022, 09:18:33 pm »
So my next question is, where should I look to get the Rhizomes?  I was looking at Morebeer and Northern Brewer.  Anyplace else have better quality.  My thought is going with Chinook, Cascade and Columbus.  Any others anybody would recommend.  I am pretty much a pale ale and IPA guy. 

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 07:42:29 am »
I have bought hop plants already starting to grow from this place.
     https://www.greatlakeshops.com/
Looks like they have all three you are looking for. I bought some Nugget, for bittering, which are very hardy. Also bought a couple of Vojvodina which are as hardy as Nugget. The Vojvodina are a cross of Northern Brewer and a Golding derived -male. Although they don't have these now.
Prices are a little higher than Rhizomes but are already a plant.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 07:47:25 am by scrap iron »
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 07:54:27 am »
When I was growing hops I trained them to go along an unused clothes line which somewhat limited the size of the crop. And I only let the strongest shoots grow so I ended up with a modest crop that wasn't super time consuming to deal with.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2022, 08:00:10 am »
As long as you grow them where they are not a nuisance it's really no problem to just have them each year with very little work and decide how much you want to deal with them at harvest time. Some years I pick and process one batch worth just for fun.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ExtractDoug

• 1st Kit
  • Keeping it simple and consistent with extract
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2022, 11:21:30 am »
I got my rhizomes at thymegarden a few years ago, the Cascade is going great, and the Centennial is so-so.

https://www.thymegarden.com/rhizomes

narvin

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2022, 11:22:44 am »
Containers are a viable option, especially if you don't need huge yield.  A half barrel or something similar works well for me.

Hopsdirect also sells rhizomes.  I'd look around and decide what kind you want, and see who has them all.  Any of the places mentioned are good.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2022, 02:25:13 pm »
Containers are a viable option, especially if you don't need huge yield.  A half barrel or something similar works well for me.

Hopsdirect also sells rhizomes.  I'd look around and decide what kind you want, and see who has them all.  Any of the places mentioned are good.
One thing about containers is that it can be challenging to find the right balance when it comes to watering. During the peak growing season they are very thirsty and I would occasionally have to water twice a day. On the other hand, hops don't like wet roots. Water management has been a challenge for me in containers, and I rarely get the kind of yields I hoped for.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

narvin

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2022, 06:37:21 pm »
One thing about containers is that it can be challenging to find the right balance when it comes to watering. During the peak growing season they are very thirsty and I would occasionally have to water twice a day. On the other hand, hops don't like wet roots. Water management has been a challenge for me in containers, and I rarely get the kind of yields I hoped for.
Yeah, good drainage is key.  In a 10+ gallon planter with a mix of soil, compost, and perlite, I can usually water once every few days.

I drilled extra holes in the bottom and found that the taproot had actually escaped into the ground, which probably also helps. It shouldn't spread this way since the rhizomes stay closer to the surface.

If you enjoy growing, you can always transplant the crown I to the ground.  It's easier than digging up unwanted hops. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2022, 09:11:31 pm »
I have bought hop plants already starting to grow from this place.
     https://www.greatlakeshops.com/
Looks like they have all three you are looking for. I bought some Nugget, for bittering, which are very hardy. Also bought a couple of Vojvodina which are as hardy as Nugget. The Vojvodina are a cross of Northern Brewer and a Golding derived -male. Although they don't have these now.
Prices are a little higher than Rhizomes but are already a plant.

Well guys, I am in it.  Bought three plants from these guys and my wife is already planning where and how to plant them.  We will see how it goes.   

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2022, 03:14:49 pm »
In my experience, once hops are established, they are basically weeds.

I grow nugget (does well), columbus (does well) and centennial (does poorly). I'm in the mid-atlantic (Virginia) USA.

I had so many columbus hops in 2020 that I brewed the AHA Columbus Pale Ale. It was wonderful and, sadly, gone too quickly.

In the spring of 2022 I plan to plant a cluster rhizome. Cluster is native North America hops.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 10:31:58 am by brewthru »

Online reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2022, 06:41:41 pm »

I have four plants in half barrels. I couldn't water them enough in our dry summers. I sunk the barrels in the ground to all but the top three inches. The hops seem a lot happier with the normal amount of watering and haven't breached the containers yet.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing