Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: As is always the case  (Read 1228 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
As is always the case
« on: January 30, 2022, 09:53:48 am »
On brew day and after is when my questions seem to come up, so here goes.  After going thru the recipe for the Blind Pig, I have found I have two questions.  One, I have an open 1 oz bag of hops that are going to used in the dry hop next week, how should I store them for the week?  I put them in a zip lock back and they are on the counter, but would putting them in the fridge be better?  Two, I have leftover Amarillo and  Apollo hops that the kit did not use, how would they do as an addition to the dry hop?  I am tempted to try it just for the heck of it, but I really should stick with the kit I am guessing.  Three, I have a small amount of hops, Amarillo I think, left over from my last brew day about a month ago, they have been in the closet with all my supplies, are they still any good?  My thought is to dump all the leftovers, heck, they are only a couple of bucks for the whole ounce, so it cannot be that much of a loss if I dump them.  LOL. 

Anyway, thanks to all who have responded to all my stupid questions.  I appreciate it as I journey down the path of beer making. 

RR

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: As is always the case
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 09:57:51 am »
Vacuum seal bags are best, but if you don't have them, squeeze as much air as possible out of the Ziploc and store the hops in the freezer.  The Amarillo and Apollo will make fine dry hops if you want to use them for that.  The smalI amount of Amarillo at room temp I'd probably toss, especially if its a really small amount.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 10:03:34 am »
Vacuum seal bags are best, but if you don't have them, squeeze as much air as possible out of the Ziploc and store the hops in the freezer.  The Amarillo and Apollo will make fine dry hops if you want to use them for that.  The smalI amount of Amarillo at room temp I'd probably toss, especially if its a really small amount.
If your careful you can submerge a bag in water (except for the opening). That will push nearly all the air out of the bag. The challenge is doing that and closing it while not letting the air back in and not getting water in the bag. Vacuum bags are much easier!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 10:09:47 am »
A lot of the bop bags can be sealed with a hot iron or a flattening hair iron. If you have Co2 you can purge with a few bursts first then quickly seal. Vacuum sealers are also great if your have one. At home I also keep my hops in the freezer. At the brewery we urge hops when they're open with Co2 then seal with a hair straightener iron. Works great!

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 10:10:36 am »

It's only about a quarter ounce of each.  The recipe did not use the whole ounce.  I might try throwing them into the fermenter at dry hop.  They have been on the counter basically since about 1PM yesterday after I finished the boil, so I think they should be ok.  It will be a game time decision. 

Thanks for the reply.  RR
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 03:15:47 pm by dbeechum »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 10:13:06 am »
If your careful you can submerge a bag in water (except for the opening). That will push nearly all the air out of the bag. The challenge is doing that and closing it while not letting the air back in and not getting water in the bag. Vacuum bags are much easier!

Sounds like a challenge, LOL.  I might try that, but for now they are in a zip lock bag with the air squeezed out and in the freezer until next week when they will go in the fermenter.  Thanks for the reply, I appreciate all info  RR

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 10:15:57 am »
A lot of the bop bags can be sealed with a hot iron or a flattening hair iron. If you have Co2 you can purge with a few bursts first then quickly seal. Vacuum sealers are also great if your have one. At home I also keep my hops in the freezer. At the brewery we urge hops when they're open with Co2 then seal with a hair straightener iron. Works great!

Awesome, I am sure my daughter, being a 23 year old young lady, has a hair straightener in her room.  Might have to go on a treasure hunt.  LOL.  Thanks for the reply.  RR

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 10:58:03 am »

Or you can just roll it up.  Much easier and just as effective.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 11:11:25 am »
On brew day and after is when my questions seem to come up, so here goes.  After going thru the recipe for the Blind Pig, I have found I have two questions.  One, I have an open 1 oz bag of hops that are going to used in the dry hop next week, how should I store them for the week?  I put them in a zip lock back and they are on the counter, but would putting them in the fridge be better?  Two, I have leftover Amarillo and  Apollo hops that the kit did not use, how would they do as an addition to the dry hop?  I am tempted to try it just for the heck of it, but I really should stick with the kit I am guessing.  Three, I have a small amount of hops, Amarillo I think, left over from my last brew day about a month ago, they have been in the closet with all my supplies, are they still any good?  My thought is to dump all the leftovers, heck, they are only a couple of bucks for the whole ounce, so it cannot be that much of a loss if I dump them.  LOL. 

Anyway, thanks to all who have responded to all my stupid questions.  I appreciate it as I journey down the path of beer making. 

RR

i'd keep them for sure, if one day a while from now you want to brew a pale ale or IPA you could always just throw those in as an aroma hop, there wouldnt be any downside at all.

people generally find a good "clean" bittering hop at some point too and keep that around to make their IBUs in most beers. i use magnum, but also nugget a bunch in dark beers. not sure what most people use but choices could be columbus, magnum, galena, etc.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=37080.0

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 11:21:59 am »
I roll the bag as tight as I can, tape it shut, and toss em in the freezer.  I buy in Nov or Dec when the crop is fresh and keep a dozen or so in there at all times.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 02:57:07 pm »
1 week really isn't going to matter unless the hops are sitting in direct sunlight or are exposed to high heat levels.

I'd simply put a twister on the open end, seal as much as possible, place in a plastic bag and put in the fridge. Use as per recipe in a week.

For long term storage, do the same as above, but put in a freezer.