Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonic Maceration  (Read 1969 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Carbonic Maceration
« on: August 18, 2021, 05:12:31 am »

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Carbonic Maceration
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 05:47:30 am »
That looks right up my alley. I think I will try this next month when we forage wild grapes. I will probably add to a saison and definitely a pyment.
Thanks for posting this Keith.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 06:50:26 am »
Very interesting.

So what is the process? 

Add the fruit to a room temp keg, CO2 carbonate for a week and rack beer on to it?  Then keep it cold and don't allow any extra fermentation?  Does the fruit need to be prepared in any way?

This seems really interesting though I envision some top draw system for the keg would be necessary.  Man, I have a Saison that will be ready for kegging in a few days. Hmm...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 07:40:42 am »
My take away is let the fruit ferment naturally and extract the juice and add to finished beer. I wouldn't attempt to stop fermentation. I have an "Orvalish" clone(ish) working right now and there is an abundance of fresh peaches here in the south. I may try this. I'll need a lot of peaches!

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 03:22:38 pm »
My take away is let the fruit ferment naturally and extract the juice and add to finished beer. I wouldn't attempt to stop fermentation. I have an "Orvalish" clone(ish) working right now and there is an abundance of fresh peaches here in the south. I may try this. I'll need a lot of peaches!

https://winemakersacademy.com/carbonic-maceration-wine-grapes/

Sounds right! Seems like a cool process, I wouldn't mind trying it for raspberries or blackberries.

Dibs on "Carbonic Maceration" for a band name.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 08:14:31 am »
Would this work with other fruit? Or just grapes?

Edit: found this over on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheBrewery/comments/kycz0j/carbonic_maceration_peaches_nectarines/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:21:35 am by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 09:47:35 pm »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 06:16:41 am »
Good article, thanks. Fills out some of the blanks from the first one.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 09:05:57 am »
I worked in the wine industry when I was younger, we would crush and destem the grapes (crushing isnt an accurate description though, you really just damaged the skin of the grapes enough to allow the juice to leak) and place them in a fermenter with a bunch of dry ice for a few days to a week. Little to no fermentation took place. After this we'd then ferment with a yeast of our choosing.

The whole "native fermentation" thing for wines is big right now, and in most cases, its total BS. Wineries are teeming with whatever yeast that has been pitched alot, and the winery definition of clean is not at all what the brewery definition is.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 06:52:34 pm »
So this is happening.
I just purged a keg and filled it probably half way with wild grapes picked this afternoon. I then did my best to purge again. I will let the gas settle and release a bit and refill with co2 before bed and again in the morning. Then I will brew a basic saison this Saturday morning and add the must during fermentation next week.
I love the idea of capturing the wild grape flavor while minimizing the malic  acid bite. If we have time before  they go by my wife wants to pick more grapes and use this method for  pyment.
I just learned that this is how beaujolais nouveau is made, a variety I have been appreciating the last couple summers.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 06:12:23 pm »
Well this is awesome! The grapes have been in the keg with co2 for a couple weeks and now are being strained to join a saison in the fermenter. The grape juice is super concentrated wild grape flavor with very little malic acid bite. Looking forward to the finished product.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2021, 06:21:06 pm »
Well this is awesome! The grapes have been in the keg with co2 for a couple weeks and now are being strained to join a saison in the fermenter. The grape juice is super concentrated wild grape flavor with very little malic acid bite. Looking forward to the finished product.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I forgot to mention: the grapes popped kind of like popcorn when Inreleased the pressure and opened the lid. Very fun!