Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: considering the increasing price of craft beer, its amazing that...  (Read 5624 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: considering the increasing price of craft beer, its amazing that...
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2021, 02:18:29 pm »

"English Ale" interesting style there

but youre supposed to "KNOW" what that means. ;)

i mean, i think my and others complaints about this, as some people have pointed out, stem from a change in audience that craft beer is marketed to. ironically now, people who are homebrewers and knowledgeable about beer processes and styles are not at all the intended customers of craft beer.

i feel like it could be different in some places, i still see a lot of american craft places that seem to make really good ideas. but for me, craft beer pub means hipsters to normies targeted, focus on atmosphere as much as the beer itself, and "accessible" beers at high prices.

Kind of like the "Irish Pub Phase" of popular bars.  Our evaluation was always:
  • They have Guinness on nitro draft
  • and 6 pool tables.

Perfect!

;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2021, 03:33:12 pm »
i wouldnt worry guys. i was hearing recently some complaints that the british "styles" we imagine as ancient and well-bounded were sort of chosen entirely by michael jackson. he certainly contributed some important stuff, but any catalogue significantly made by one person is bound to be as much a reflection of what that person wanted as what was real.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2021, 06:29:09 pm »
i wouldnt worry guys. i was hearing recently some complaints that the british "styles" we imagine as ancient and well-bounded were sort of chosen entirely by michael jackson. he certainly contributed some important stuff, but any catalogue significantly made by one person is bound to be as much a reflection of what that person wanted as what was real.
Great point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2021, 11:10:59 pm »

I mean, this isn't entirely wrong, but that's often the case and the real challenge of trying to set in amber things that move over time. What is Mild? When are we talking? MJ also put a lot of weight to the stories told by breweries. From a modern perspective of "we have to true this up" it seems misguided, but at his time, nobody was really taking beer seriously in anyway and he sold the story as to why we should!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2021, 09:02:25 pm »
i went to a popular and hip brewpub without really researching it in toronto. i just wanted to relax for once and wing it and enjoy whatever comes, food and some drinks.

food was good. beer menu was 5 or 6 ddh hazy IPAs, 2 DIPAs, a dryhopped pilsner and one pastry stout. the place was packed. tried the DIPA because i wanted to try a certain hop in it. it was a DDH hazy DIPA, literally tasted like sweet orange/grapefruit juice with just the light pithy bitterness of grapefruit juice. like 30 IBU bitter with tons of sweetness behind it. tried to appreciate it, and at least enjoy its 8.2% ABV. i asked if there was anything else on tap, they said no. ordered the pilsner. again hazy, but this tasted like 80% pils, 20% dextrose. just zero malt taste, weird flowery hops and low bitterness. each were 9 dollars for a 12oz and 14oz pour respectively.

it makes me feel like an old n angry loser but i hate this trend. i dont want to have to research in detail every single craft beer place i go to just to make sure its not this kind of crap.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 09:05:00 pm by fredthecat »

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2021, 09:33:56 pm »
Agreed with above. The beer shops are all just 4 pack 16oz cans with big pastel colors of NEIPAs. I feel like I'm walking through an Easter decoration store. I'm mostly out on retail beer anymore. Too expensive and mine tastes better anyway.
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2021, 04:30:42 am »
I just picked up three 4-6 packs of European pilsners, a 6-pack of a local marzen that is outstanding year to year, and two individual bottles of Belgian Belgians. I think this will be my trend maybe for the rest of my life. Well, mix it up once in a while with a British ale.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2021, 06:50:29 am »
I started brewing because my best friend bought me a Mr Beer kit and we thought it would be cool. I continued brewing because I wanted to brew styles that weren't available in my area and I was drinking a s*** ton of beer. Today, I brew now mostly because I enjoy the process, I don't drink nearly as much as before and I enjoy sharing it now more than ever.

I have a lot of solid Craft Breweries in my area, but there's also some that aren't so great. On the flip side my LHBS just closed it's doors after 7 yrs. He will be the 3rd in my area in the 10 plus yrs of my brewing that shut their doors. I am now strictly online order only so I imagine I won't be brewing as much or as often which makes it even more important to brew the best beer I can.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2021, 09:29:45 am »
I started brewing because my best friend bought me a Mr Beer kit and we thought it would be cool. I continued brewing because I wanted to brew styles that weren't available in my area and I was drinking a s*** ton of beer. Today, I brew now mostly because I enjoy the process, I don't drink nearly as much as before and I enjoy sharing it now more than ever.

I have a lot of solid Craft Breweries in my area, but there's also some that aren't so great. On the flip side my LHBS just closed it's doors after 7 yrs. He will be the 3rd in my area in the 10 plus yrs of my brewing that shut their doors. I am now strictly online order only so I imagine I won't be brewing as much or as often which makes it even more important to brew the best beer I can.

all my planned beer is from online stuff. i know the LHBS that i used to use before online ordering became common still operates, but they never bothered to try to compete or improve themselves. its 2021 and they still only have S05, S04, T58, S-23 (seriously) and mauri weizen dry yeasts. no liquid or anything else.

some people here were wondering about how to get an LHBS to succeed when competing against online with massive selection. i would imagine it would be in providing some truly quality brew-on-premise stuff, and/or really focus on local ingredients and yeast if at all possible and make it feel super friendly and social.

my LHBS seems to have none of those afaik

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2021, 09:58:37 am »

all my planned beer is from online stuff. i know the LHBS that i used to use before online ordering became common still operates, but they never bothered to try to compete or improve themselves. its 2021 and they still only have S05, S04, T58, S-23 (seriously) and mauri weizen dry yeasts. no liquid or anything else.

some people here were wondering about how to get an LHBS to succeed when competing against online with massive selection. i would imagine it would be in providing some truly quality brew-on-premise stuff, and/or really focus on local ingredients and yeast if at all possible and make it feel super friendly and social.

my LHBS seems to have none of those afaik

My LHBS doesn't ship but have prices very close to online offerings. Their secret is they have contracts and supply a few breweries in the area. They still have a good online presence and I can order from their site and choose a day and pickup time and drop by pay and off I go.

They also have a all the yeasts, grain, and hops you would want and tons of equipment.

There is another LHBS close by as well but they never have what I need in stock the guy is nice too but I usually can only get about half of my ingredients there.

There are also quite a few decent breweries around me as well but damn the prices are a bit steep.