Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Unibrau V3  (Read 1292 times)

Offline skschawal

• 1st Kit
Unibrau V3
« on: April 15, 2021, 06:33:59 pm »
Anyone have experience with the Unibrau V3?  I specifically looking at the 120V kit with the 600W additional element.  Wanted to know how this has worked for everyone and is it worth the extra money to get the additional element.  I'm interested in electric brewing, don't have space for 240V, and don't want an extremely long brew day.

Cheers!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Unibrau V3
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 07:05:24 pm »
This doesn't answer your question exactly -- but I have the 35L 120V BrewZilla and I really like it. Looks to be a good bit more affordable than the Unibrau V3. If I want to brew a 12 gallon batch I just back to back batch into my 14 g kettle and boil with gas.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 07:22:00 pm »
I considered the Unibrau and yet went for the Avil Foundry, because it was switchable between 120v and 240v.  The Brewzilla seems comparable in performance.  The grainfather is popular, too, of course.  I think you really can’t go wrong among them.  It depends on which features you prefer or not.  Some are fully programmable and others are more hands on.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 08:22:15 pm »
I'd probably be more happier with the Anvil. That might be my next one

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 10:05:19 pm »
The Unibrau looks quite complex with all the TC fittings and stainless pipework. It seems like might be a pain to assemble and disassemble.

It’s also a lot of individual pieces rather than an all in one. That means if something breaks you can replace. But, it may also mean you can lose pieces.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 11:11:06 am »
Anyone have experience with the Unibrau V3?
Cheers!

I had one for awhile.

See here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=33134.msg423835#msg423835

And also reply #43 here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=33221.msg424322#msg424322

The single element is fine for step mashing (even at no sparge volumes), but I never tried to boil in it so I can't speak to that aspect (though I think it would probably be ok without the additional element). 

The Unibrau looks quite complex with all the TC fittings and stainless pipework. It seems like might be a pain to assemble and disassemble.

I discovered that I really dislike TC fittings.  It isn't particularly difficult to assemble and disassemble, but it is kind of annoying.  It would be best if you had the space to leave it mostly intact between brew sessions (which I did not at the time).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 01:36:11 pm »
Triclamps are great if you are in an actual commercial brewery. Big time over kill for most homebreweries except for 3 vessel systems I recon.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 03:50:39 pm »
I like the tri-clamps on my 3 vessel system, but must say that I keep them in place other than periodic deep cleaning.  Lately, I use my Anvil Foundry more than the big rig.  Funny how that big shiny 3 vessel system had such initial allure, but the all in one is so much easier to use and clean.  And making 5 gallon batches keeps me more busy brewing than the big 10 gallon batches....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline skschawal

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 04:53:17 pm »
Anyone have experience with the Unibrau V3?
Cheers!

I had one for awhile.

See here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=33134.msg423835#msg423835

And also reply #43 here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=33221.msg424322#msg424322

The single element is fine for step mashing (even at no sparge volumes), but I never tried to boil in it so I can't speak to that aspect (though I think it would probably be ok without the additional element). 

I discovered that I really dislike TC fittings.  It isn't particularly difficult to assemble and disassemble, but it is kind of annoying.  It would be best if you had the space to leave it mostly intact between brew sessions (which I did not at the time).

Thanks for all the help and input!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 06:28:47 pm »
If you don't buy the version that includes the dip tube, definitely buy it separately.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline skschawal

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 11:09:58 am »
Thanks.  Ended up ordering the kit with the dip tube.