Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Silly Saison  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Silly Saison
« on: February 06, 2021, 04:06:12 pm »
Has anyone found a homebrew interpretation of Silly Saison?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: Silly Saison
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 05:30:37 pm »
If I didn't use Google I would have thought you were being silly with us. I've never tried it, but curious based on the name.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 05:41:03 pm »
It seems to be kind of the black sheep of saisons being fairly different from the ur-saison from Brasserie Dupont.

The only place around here I can find it is a restaurant that charges $9 a bottle.
The Other Drew

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 08:19:51 am »
I didn't look up Silly Saison and not to sidetrack OP's post but when my Cabernet Sauvignon wine is finished in its american white oak barrel (2nd wine) I plan on barreling a 7%+ farmhouse in it. Thats silly isn't it?

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 08:33:27 am »
I cannot say how close or far off this recipe is, as I've never had it, but I found 3 Googling Silly Saison Recipe.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/344735/silly-summer-saison

This one looks most like I'd expect it to be.. just making assumptions. Another one uses Sorachi Ace and the other recipe has a fairly complex grain bill... Which, maybe it does.. but I don't know. I'd start with the one linked and try to jog your memory.. or grab another bottle to compare and take notes. Maybe take notes before the brew and write what you're getting from the beer and try to reverse engineer it. In the beginning of Designing Great Beers, there's a pretty good section on how to go about this.

Good luck! I'm getting thirsty..

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 08:40:06 am »
Drew might know
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 09:12:50 am »
I cannot say how close or far off this recipe is, as I've never had it, but I found 3 Googling Silly Saison Recipe.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/344735/silly-summer-saison

I looked at that one.  I think he just means "Silly" in the sense of the English word, not Brasserie de Silly.  BdS's Silly Saison is darker -- their website describes it as "Amber" and says they use "Kent and Hallertau Hops".
The Other Drew