Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Odor Removal  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Odor Removal
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 01:06:33 pm »
The odor isn't a problem for future batches.  If it really bothers you, try baking soda.

Thank you. It does not bother me now that all of you "pros" have weighed in on the issue.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2021, 01:37:26 pm »
When you brew with that vessel again, give it a good whiff after it's been cleaned (soaked in hot water with a brewery cleanser or whatever) and sanitized using Starsan, IO-San or Iodophor.  You will notice that the odor of the previous batch is much less pronounced.  That's one good sign that your new batch won't be impacted by the previous one.  I switch off between two plastic fermenters now.  When I clean them after transferring from them and I put them back into my beer bunker, the smell is quite strong.  But after a good cleaning and sanitizing it's fine.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2021, 02:02:56 pm »
The odor isn't a problem for future batches.  If it really bothers you, try baking soda.

Thank you. It does not bother me now that all of you "pros" have weighed in on the issue.

The other thing that can help is good old sunlight.  Which you probably have a lot more of in TX than we do OR right now!  Try leaving it open in the sun for a while.  It my help.

ETA:  now that I think about it, didn't it snow down there recently?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 02:22:43 pm »

The other thing that can help is good old sunlight.  Which you probably have a lot more of in TX than we do OR right now!  Try leaving it open in the sun for a while.  It my help.

My daughter is in Austin and told me it snowed on Sunday.    ::)
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 02:33:32 pm »
Every summer I give my buckets a good deep cleaning and a full day or so of sun (repeating as needed).  They look bright white and then I start to use them again and the inevitable discoloration kicks in...but I don't ferment much in buckets anymore (other than SS Brew Buckets).  My buckets hold Iodophor, Star San, BLC mixture, you name it, from time to time...generally I just use them to capture the water from chilling to re-use for cleaning after the wort is racked to fermenter, or earlier in the brew day to weigh out grain bills and catch crushed grain in the underside of my JSP mill.  Sometimes I temporarily store extra grain in them, when I stock up in advance of some bigger brew days.  They really are handy and stepping up from using them as fermenters doesn't mean that they will not be used!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 04:17:40 pm »

My daughter is in Austin and told me it snowed on Sunday.    ::)

We live 25 miles north of DFW Airport. A fair amount of moderate snow last Sunday, but it melted as soon as it hit the ground.