Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop spider removal time  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Jayborracho

• Cellarman
Hop spider removal time
« on: January 04, 2021, 08:22:25 pm »
Hey all, quick questions?

Maybe I’m over thinking it. But are you supposed to

remove hop basket after chilling and right before you drain wort into fermenter?

Or do you leave it in until brew kettle is drained completely into fermenter

Or does it not make a bit of difference. Wondering if I’ve been doing it wrong

Cheers!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Hop spider removal time
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 09:12:51 pm »
I leave it in until the wort is transferred to the fermenter. I figure a 10% loss in hop utilization when you use a spider instead of tossing them in loose. IMO, leaving the spider in during chilling and transfer mitigates most of that loss.

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 05:13:20 am »
I generally leave mine in the kettle until I start cooling.  Then I lift it out of the wort but leave it hang on the side of the pot to drain until it stops dripping.

This is mostly because I don't want to have cool a ball of hop pellets that will get tossed anyway.  It saves some chilling water (at least that's what I tell myself).

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 05:31:47 am »
I generally leave mine in the kettle until I start cooling.  Then I lift it out of the wort but leave it hang on the side of the pot to drain until it stops dripping.

This is mostly because I don't want to have cool a ball of hop pellets that will get tossed anyway.  It saves some chilling water (at least that's what I tell myself).

Paul
When I use mine I take it out at flameout.  I let it drain a little bit and then chill.  But I don't like the muted hop character I would get with it so I stopped using it... I let the pellets swim in the wort as they were meant to do.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 11:31:03 am »
I leave it in until the wort is transferred to the fermenter. I figure a 10% loss in hop utilization when you use a spider instead of tossing them in loose. IMO, leaving the spider in during chilling and transfer mitigates most of that loss.

i was wondering about that when i started using one, but i havent adjusted my bitterness calculations on that. hmm, why do you estimate 10%?

Offline Jayborracho

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 05:41:18 pm »
Thanks guys, In the beginning I used to just remove the spider at flameout but now I keep it till its finished cooling,but yesterday I started asking myself wether I should’ve kept it those extra like 3 mins as the kettle drained to fermenter. Now relaxing and having a homebrew to think about it the idea I’d lose utilization for that time is nonsensical lol  :P