Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is DME subject to oxidation?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
Is DME subject to oxidation?
« on: December 09, 2020, 06:17:04 pm »
Is DME subject to oxidation?

Is it nitrogen flushed and packaged by any of the manufacturers Briess/Muntons?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Is DME subject to oxidation?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 07:17:50 pm »
This is a good question and I think someone will come along with a smarter answer than what I am going to give - but I would say that whatever affect oxidation has on DME it is far less of an affect than it does on LME due to the nature of its processing.

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 07:14:46 am »
My take is that since it's hygroscopic it will absorb moisture from the air which presumably contains oxygen, unless of course it's kept in an environment where that doesn't have to be considered but I'm not a scientist.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 07:37:53 am »
My take is that since it's hygroscopic it will absorb moisture from the air which presumably contains oxygen, unless of course it's kept in an environment where that doesn't have to be considered but I'm not a scientist.

I think you are definitely correct. But if kept dry it most likely isn't subjected to any more oxidation than crushed malt - which does have a shelf life but if kept sealed is pretty long.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 08:02:01 am »
DME is probably more shelf stable than malt because there are no active enzymes.

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 08:20:18 am »
Not being a scientist I could be wrong but the enzymes in malt aren't active either until they're activated by environmental conditions (water at a certain temperature).  Malt stales because it contains and absorbs moisture leading to oxidation.  It also contains bacteria and fungi which may contribute to fouling.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 08:57:52 am »
Not being a scientist I could be wrong but the enzymes in malt aren't active either until they're activated by environmental conditions (water at a certain temperature).  Malt stales because it contains and absorbs moisture leading to oxidation.  It also contains bacteria and fungi which may contribute to fouling.

DME is dried wort that has already been boiled. That means is has no enzymes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 09:02:57 am »
I occasionally purchase a bag of DME for starters and keep it sealed in a plastic bag in a drawer in the kitchen.  After a month or more it turns into a brick from moisture absorption, but it's still good for starters.  If I leave it a lot longer it will darken from oxygen pick up.  At this point it doesn't make a very good starter.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 09:04:08 am »

DME is dried wort that has already been boiled. That means is has no enzymes.

True, but I've never claimed that DME has enzymes.

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 09:04:38 am »
I occasionally purchase a bag of DME for starters and keep it sealed in a plastic bag in a drawer in the kitchen.  After a month or more it turns into a brick from moisture absorption, but it's still good for starters.  If I leave it a lot longer it will darken from oxygen pick up.  At this point it doesn't make a very good starter.

This has been my experience as well.