Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aerating wort  (Read 7317 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Aerating wort
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2020, 10:37:45 am »

What's interesting to me is that I typically pitch one pack of 1469, no starter, into 3 gallons of splash aerated wort. I ferment it in a sealed keg with my PRV set to 2 PSI, with no further aeration or oxygenation. This sounds like a recipe for disaster based on the information you've provided. But my beers all attenuate well, and I don't pick up any off flavors. Any idea how I'm getting away with this?

Reality astonishing theory would be my guess.

Took the words right out of my fingers

And for the record, it's your saying ;-) Apologies in advance if I don't always give it a proper citation. It's something I live by as well.

It comes from Tom Maggliozi.  We both appropriated it!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2020, 10:38:31 am »
I am embarrassed to admit this but in 11 years of home brewing and all the time on this forum in particular, I have never gotten the "dry yeast doesn't need aeration" memo. I always aerate, usually with a mix stir, before pitching any yeast.
Is aeration at all detrimental when using dry yeast?

As far as I can tell it's not detrimental.  Just a waste of time.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2020, 10:54:19 am »
I am embarrassed to admit this but in 11 years of home brewing and all the time on this forum in particular, I have never gotten the "dry yeast doesn't need aeration" memo. I always aerate, usually with a mix stir, before pitching any yeast.

I think Denny is right, but two aspects are worth considering - some mfg instructions (I think from Lallemand, but I could be wrong) suggest adding yeast to a small portion of the transferred wort in the fermenter and then letting it sit for a few minutes before racking the rest of the wort; secondly, aerating without already pitching the yeast could have an oxidation impact on the wort - though I don't know how quickly such oxidation would occur, if at all.  Just a couple things to consider in this context....I am no expert on the metabolic aspects of dry yeast, but anecdotally, sprinkling dry yeast on the foam that arises from racking into the fermenter causes the foam to be taken up or dissipated rather quickly in my experience.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2020, 11:46:12 am »

I think Denny is right, but two aspects are worth considering - some mfg instructions (I think from Lallemand, but I could be wrong) suggest adding yeast to a small portion of the transferred wort in the fermenter and then letting it sit for a few minutes before racking the rest of the wort; secondly, aerating without already pitching the yeast could have an oxidation impact on the wort - though I don't know how quickly such oxidation would occur, if at all.  Just a couple things to consider in this context....I am no expert on the metabolic aspects of dry yeast, but anecdotally, sprinkling dry yeast on the foam that arises from racking into the fermenter causes the foam to be taken up or dissipated rather quickly in my experience.

I base a lot of my dry yeast advice on having spoken with a microbiologist at Lallemand.  His advice differed from what they say publicly.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2020, 01:22:06 pm »
What's interesting to me is that I typically pitch one pack of 1469, no starter, into 3 gallons of splash aerated wort. I ferment it in a sealed keg with my PRV set to 2 PSI, with no further aeration or oxygenation. This sounds like a recipe for disaster based on the information you've provided. But my beers all attenuate well, and I don't pick up any off flavors. Any idea how I'm getting away with this?

Hopefully, you noticed the "Almost" part in the sentence "Almost all Yorkshire strains are O3 or 04 with respect to O2 demands."  From the absence of a installed fishtail on Timothy Taylor's fermentation vessels, one can assume that the Timothy Taylor culture is one of the exceptions.

This video covers the fermentation process at Timothy Taylor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CK2eG5-CiM&feature=emb_logo

Did you notice the fermentation vessels appear to not have fishtails?

Now, here is the fermentation part of Black Sheep's video: https://youtu.be/-fyWbIC5FDs?t=196

All of the fermentation vessels in the fermenting room have fishtails and you can see actively fermenting beer being sprayed down on itself to re-aerate the fermentation.

Even though NCYC 1333 is not a full-on O4 yeast culture.  It can be cruel mistress if care is not taken to adequately aerate the wort. 

Here is that empty vial in which I received the culture on slant ("slope" in British terms):

Here is the brown head forming on an NCYC 1333 fermentation:

Here is the second head that formed after the brown head was skimmed:

It looks like pancake batter.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2020, 01:29:20 pm »

I believe that the risk of oxidation is very low. Yeast cells are good O2 scrubbers.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2020, 08:22:13 pm »

i think this is the third time ive had to state this in this thread, but it seems like moderate to low OGs arent a noticeable issue if they are not oxygenated properly, apparently even in the case of 1469. Note - you're also saying 3 gallons. So you are achieving at minimum a sufficient amount of yeast for sure we can imagine. Did you use this yeast on a gravity above 1.065?

Hopefully, you noticed the "Almost" part in the sentence "Almost all Yorkshire strains are O3 or 04 with respect to O2 demands."  From the absence of a installed fishtail on Timothy Taylor's fermentation vessels, one can assume that the Timothy Taylor culture is one of the exceptions.

This video covers the fermentation process at Timothy Taylor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CK2eG5-CiM&feature=emb_logo

Did you notice the fermentation vessels appear to not have fishtails?

Now, here is the fermentation part of Black Sheep's video: https://youtu.be/-fyWbIC5FDs?t=196

All of the fermentation vessels in the fermenting room have fishtails and you can see actively fermenting beer being sprayed down on itself to re-aerate the fermentation.

Even though NCYC 1333 is not a full-on O4 yeast culture.  It can be cruel mistress if care is not taken to adequately aerate the wort. 

Here is that empty vial in which I received the culture on slant ("slope" in British terms):

Here is the brown head forming on an NCYC 1333 fermentation:

Here is the second head that formed after the brown head was skimmed:

It looks like pancake batter.

thanks for the pics, good visualization of skimming the brown head.