Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Inkbird temp controller failure  (Read 2390 times)

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
Inkbird temp controller failure
« on: December 01, 2020, 09:22:53 am »
I have an Inkbird ITC-308 temperature controller on my fermentation chamber refrigerator. It's worked fine for 2 years running the fridge and also has run a small heater on a couple winter-time brews. I don't brew a ton so it actually hasn't had to endure massive hours of operation. Last week it failed me - I was afraid my refrigerator was biting the dust because it couldn't get the beer below 72 degrees according to the Inkbird display with my set point of 69. I use a thermowell in my fermenter. Well, I opened the fridge and discovered the fridge was working overtime and my beer was VERY cold.
Two questions:

1) Have other folks had an Inkbird fail (I see on a couple other forums brewers have reported this problem and noted it's likely a temp probe issue, and also noted response to customers at Inkbird has been less than stellar)

2) If I wanted to replace the unit rather than replace the probe, what might folks recommend for a tried-and-true long lasting dual controller that can connect both heater and fridge?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 09:25:07 am by ravenwater »
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Re: Inkbird temp controller failure
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 01:36:33 pm »
Johnson controllers have a good reputation. MoreBeer has them.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Inkbird temp controller failure
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 04:08:01 pm »
I had an Inkbird probe on my RIMS PID controller fail. I replaced it with much higher quality unit from the Electric Brewery.  When I reported the failure on another popular beer site I was treated like I was badmouthing their mom or something. There are some very brand loyal brewers out there.

I use Auber Plug n Play Programable Dual Channel Controllers for both my fermentation and cold crash/serving fridges. They’ve been on the job for several years now. I forget they’re even there.

You could just replace the probe vs the whole unit if you’re confident it’s the probe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 04:13:54 pm by BrewBama »

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 06:10:45 pm »
I too have had an inkbird fail.  I wasn't surprised given how inexpensive they are.  I bought another one and its been working fine when I need it to- in the winter months during lager season.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 06:28:38 pm »
My Ranco is about 10 years old and has outlasted  2 fridges so far. I brew about every 2 weeks, so its almost always working. For the first couple of years it was also used for warming during the Winter.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 07:58:00 pm »
Johnson controllers have a good reputation. MoreBeer has them.

I have a Johnson A419 on my keezer.  It just passed the 4 year mark a couple months ago.